How much water boils off when a hot horseshoe is dropped in

• Thread starter Shmiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Water
In summary: Using the equation Q = mcΔT, you can calculate the heat gained by the water, which is equal to the heat lost by the horseshoe. From there, you can use the heat of vaporization of water to find the mass of water that boils off. In summary, the amount of water that boils off can be found by using the equation Q = mcΔT and the heat of vaporization of water.
Shmiam

Homework Statement

A blacksmith drops a 0.7 kg horseshoe of iron at a temperature of 1200 ̊C into a bucket of
0.5 L
of water at an initial temperature of 30 ̊C. How much of the water boils off? Assume the bucket
absorbs none of the heat.

Homework Equations

I believe Q = mc delta(T) is what I'm aiming to use here, but I'm not entirely sure how

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit lost, I know that the two objects (shoe and water) will ultimately reach the same final temperature, and I can write Q = mc delta(T) to reflect that, but I'm unsure how it corresponds to the water that boils off, and how I might find that value? I'm guessing it'd be the volume of steam which will share the same final T as the water and shoe? Not sure how to find it though.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Shmiam said:
I'm guessing it'd be the volume of steam which will share the same final T
No, the steam will come of at 100C and take no further part.
Think of it in stages, and assume that at any given moment all the water is at the same temperature.
What must happen before any water boils off?

haruspex said:
What must happen before any water boils off?

The water needs to rise to 100C first, right? I'm just generally confused how to work the equation up to that point, and then what I need to do to find how much water boils off.

Shmiam said:
The water needs to rise to 100C first, right? I'm just generally confused how to work the equation up to that point,
Yes.
What heat will the water have absorbed? What temperature drop occurs in the horseshoe?

haruspex said:
What heat will the water have absorbed? What temperature drop occurs in the horseshoe?

Do they both end up at 100C? So the horseshoe would drop 1100C? But then for the heat absorbed by the water, I am not sure what it equals. Is it related to the horseshoe's Q = mc delta(T)? As in, I solve that with delta(T) = 1100C and that's how much heat the water absorbs?

Shmiam said:
Do they both end up at 100C?
Eventually, perhaps, but at this stage we are just considering the process up to the point where all the water is at 100C. The horseshoe may still be hotter.
Answer my first question: how much heat has the water taken up at this point?

haruspex said:
how much heat has the water taken up at this point?

Would that be = mc(70C)?

Shmiam said:
Would that be = mc(70C)?
Maybe - you have not defined m and c.

haruspex said:
Maybe - you have not defined m and c.

c is the specific heat of water and m is the mass, which, using density, would be .5kg

Shmiam said:
c is the specific heat of water and m is the mass, which, using density, would be .5kg
OK, so how much heat has gone from the horseshoe?

haruspex said:
OK, so how much heat has gone from the horseshoe?

Would its temperature change also equal 70C?

Shmiam said:
Would its temperature change also equal 70C?
I didn't ask that.
You calculated that the water absorbed mc (70C) of heat. So how much did the horseshoe lose in that time?

haruspex said:
So how much did the horseshoe lose in that time?

What I meant by that was whether the horseshoe lost mc (70C) or if that's the wrong way to think about it

Shmiam said:
What I meant by that was whether the horseshoe lost mc (70C) or if that's the wrong way to think about it
You need to base your thinking on sound principles, not wild guesses.
It is a very simple question: if the water gained a quantity Q of heat from the horseshoe, what quantity of heat did the horseshoe lose to the water?

haruspex said:
You need to base your thinking on sound principles, not wild guesses.
It is a very simple question: if the water gained a quantity Q of heat from the horseshoe, what quantity of heat did the horseshoe lose to the water?
I'd have to say I don't know

Shmiam said:
I'd have to say I don't know
Heat is energy. Energy is conserved. If the total stays the same, but the water gained Q, how much did the horseshoe lose?

haruspex said:
Heat is energy. Energy is conserved. If the total stays the same, but the water gained Q, how much did the horseshoe lose?
Oh, then the horseshoe must have lost Q

Shmiam said:
Oh, then the horseshoe must have lost Q
Right. So what is the temperature of the horseshoe at this point?

haruspex said:
Right. So what is the temperature of the horseshoe at this point?
So, setting the two Q's equal, I found delta(T) of the shoe to be = -(mc 70C)/(MC)
m - mass of the water
c - specific heat of water
M - mass of the shoe
C - specific heat of iron

Shmiam said:
So, setting the two Q's equal, I found delta(T) of the shoe to be = -(mc 70C)/(MC)
m - mass of the water
c - specific heat of water
M - mass of the shoe
C - specific heat of iron
Ok. Time to turn that into a numerical temperature.

haruspex said:
Ok. Time to turn that into a numerical temperature.

I think I must be missing something here
m = .5kg
c = 4187 J/(kg*K)
M = .7kg
C = 460.548 J/(kg*K)
and 70C + 273K = 343K

I'm getting an outrageously high change..

Shmiam said:
I think I must be missing something here
m = .5kg
c = 4187 J/(kg*K)
M = .7kg
C = 460.548 J/(kg*K)
and 70C + 273K = 343K

I'm getting an outrageously high change..
You don't need to convert to K. A change of x degrees in C is also a change of x degrees in K, and here we are only concerned with temperature changes.
The heat gained by the water is mc(100-30) or, equivalently, mc((273+100)-(273+30)).

Shmiam said:

Homework Statement

A blacksmith drops a 0.7 kg horseshoe of iron at a temperature of 1200 ̊C into a bucket of
0.5 L
of water at an initial temperature of 30 ̊C. How much of the water boils off? Assume the bucket
absorbs none of the heat.

According to the problem you know that no energy is lost from the system, therefore you can say that the change in energy of zero is equal to the sum of every Q. The Q you'll have to account for include the heat loss from the horseshoe, the heat gained to bring the water up to 100C, and the heat gained to evaporate the water. Heat exchange will continue until either the horseshoe is removed, or they come to thermal equilibrium. If you assume that not all of the water will evaporate, this tells you the final temperature of the horseshoe, which should then allow you to solve for its Q (if this turned out to be an incorrect assumption, you would be able to tell because you would find that all of the water evaporated, but then that would also be your answer).

haruspex said:
You don't need to convert to K. A change of x degrees in C is also a change of x degrees in K, and here we are only concerned with temperature changes.
The heat gained by the water is mc(100-30) or, equivalently, mc((273+100)-(273+30)).
In that case, the horseshoe loses 454.567K

Shmiam said:
In that case, the horseshoe loses 454.567K
Right. And now we have all the water at 100C.
What process will happen next, and what will eventually halt that process?

haruspex said:
Right. And now we have all the water at 100C.
What process will happen next, and what will eventually halt that process?
The water goes through its phase change from liquid to steam, and it stops if it all evaporates or if the system reaches thermal equilibrium

Shmiam said:
The water goes through its phase change from liquid to steam, and it stops if it all evaporates or if the system reaches thermal equilibrium
Good.
How much heat does the horseshoe still have to lose for equilibrium?

haruspex said:
Good.
How much heat does the horseshoe still have to lose for equilibrium?
At equilibrium it would match the temperature of the water, so Q = MC(373K-1018.433K), which comes out to be -208076.96J?

Shmiam said:
At equilibrium it would match the temperature of the water, so Q = MC(373K-1018.433K), which comes out to be -208076.96J?
Right, so how much water will boil off.

Shmiam said:
I'm a bit lost, I know that the two objects (shoe and water) will ultimately reach the same final temperature, and I can write Q = mc delta(T) to reflect that, but I'm unsure how it corresponds to the water that boils off, and how I might find that value?

If there were no water boiling off, how would you use ##Q=mc\Delta T## to find the final temperature?

haruspex said:
Right, so how much water will boil off.

with delta(E) = 0 = Qshoe + Qsteam
-Qshoe = Qsteam
208076.96J = L Msteam with L being the latent heat of vaporization = 2256 kJ/kg = 2256000 J/kg
Msteam = .0922kg = .0922L

Shmiam said:
with delta(E) = 0 = Qshoe + Qsteam
-Qshoe = Qsteam
208076.96J = L Msteam with L being the latent heat of vaporization = 2256 kJ/kg = 2256000 J/kg
Msteam = .0922kg = .0922L
Looks right.

haruspex said:
Looks right.
Awesome! Thank you very much for all of the guidance, I think it helped me to understand the concepts here much more

Shmiam said:
Awesome! Thank you very much for all of the guidance, I think it helped me to understand the concepts here much more
That's a good result then.

1. How does the temperature of the horseshoe affect the amount of water that boils off?

The temperature of the horseshoe does not have a significant impact on the amount of water that boils off. The main factor that determines how much water boils off is the temperature of the water itself.

2. What is the relationship between the size of the horseshoe and the amount of water that boils off?

The size of the horseshoe does not have a direct relationship with the amount of water that boils off. However, a larger horseshoe may retain more heat, causing the water to boil off at a slightly faster rate.

3. Does the type of water used (e.g. tap water, distilled water) affect the amount that boils off?

The type of water used does not have a significant impact on the amount that boils off. However, distilled water may boil off slightly faster due to its lack of impurities.

4. Is the rate of boiling affected by the height from which the horseshoe is dropped into the water?

The rate of boiling is not affected by the height from which the horseshoe is dropped into the water. The main factor that determines the rate of boiling is the temperature of the water.

5. How does the atmospheric pressure affect the amount of water that boils off?

The atmospheric pressure does not have a significant impact on the amount of water that boils off. However, at higher altitudes where the atmospheric pressure is lower, water may boil off slightly faster due to the lower boiling point of water at lower pressures.