How much weight can the balloon lift?

In summary: The relationship between mass, density, and volume is given by the formula: m = ( ##\rho## ) V
Funny_N_Cool
Homework Statement
A typical hot air balloon has a volume of 2801 cubic meters. The density of air outside the balloon is 1.17 kg/ cubic meter. The density of the hot air inside the balloon is 0.9 kg/ cubic meter. How much weight can the balloon lift?
Relevant Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep adding mass to the balloon until the densities become equal.

@chemisttree Could you please demonstrate the solution?

How would you calculate the total mass of the balloon using the information provided?

I think the only formula to calculate the mass is the formula of density given this info.

Likes chemisttree
@chemisttree Is there another way to solve? please provide it explained.

Funny_N_Cool said:
I think the only formula to calculate the mass is the formula of density given this info.
You are given a volume and two different densities. What is the weight of the balloon filled with hot air versus cool air?

@berkeman Do you have any idea how to solve it?

Funny_N_Cool said:
@berkeman Do you have any idea how to solve it?
Given that the solution is utterly trivial, I'm quite confident that he can, but you are missing the point. The purpose of this forum is to help people learn how to solve problems, not to solve problems FOR them. You have been given sufficient hints, so think about it.

Likes berkeman and FactChecker
berkeman said:
You are given a volume and two different densities. What is the weight of the balloon filled with hot air versus cool air?
Funny_N_Cool said:
I misspoke. I should have said what is the mass of the air inside the balloon? The total mass lifted will be the mass of the empty balloon plus the added load. The sum of these is the total mass lifted. Any clearer?

Funny_N_Cool said:
This is the correct direction to take.

phinds said:
Given that the solution is utterly trivial, I'm quite confident that he can
Um, that's a compliment, right? Um... :wink:

berkeman said:
Um, that's a compliment, right? Um... :wink:
Well, in a backhanded kind of way :smile:

Likes berkeman
What is the relationship between mass m, density ##\rho##, and Volume?

1. How is the lifting capacity of a balloon determined?

The lifting capacity of a balloon is determined by the amount of gas or helium it contains. The more gas or helium inside the balloon, the more buoyant force it will have, and the more weight it can lift.

2. What factors affect the lifting capacity of a balloon?

The lifting capacity of a balloon is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the balloon, the type and amount of gas or helium inside, and the surrounding temperature and air pressure.

3. Can a balloon lift an unlimited amount of weight?

No, a balloon can only lift a certain amount of weight based on its lifting capacity. Once it reaches its maximum lifting capacity, it will not be able to lift any additional weight.

4. How much weight can a balloon lift?

The amount of weight a balloon can lift varies depending on its size, shape, and the amount of gas or helium inside. On average, a standard 3-foot balloon filled with helium can lift about 1-2 grams of weight.

5. Can multiple balloons be used to lift heavier objects?

Yes, multiple balloons can be used to lift heavier objects. By distributing the weight among several balloons, the combined lifting capacity can be increased. However, there will still be a limit to how much weight can be lifted based on the individual lifting capacity of each balloon.