How much younger will I be?

• Thread starter Beneer
  • Start date
In summary, based on the conversation, it has been determined that if an airline pilot flies for 20000 hours at an average speed of 400 knots, they would be 64 microseconds younger than their ground-based colleagues upon retirement. This calculation takes into account the effects of both gravity and velocity, but ultimately the difference is still considered to be a trivial amount.
Beneer
Hello all, hope you are well. A quick question. I'm employed as an airline pilot. If I fly for 20000 hours over my career at an average speed of 400 knots (roughly 200 m/s), how much younger would I be than my ground based colleagues upon retirement ? Kind regards, Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ben:

I calculate that you will be 64 microseconds (64 × 10-6 seconds) younger.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Likes jackwhirl
As I recall, it depends on the direction you travel because traveling with the Earth's rotation is different than traveling against it. If you assume all trips are mirror images then you have to do 2 computations and add the results.

It is in any case, as Buzz has computed, an utterly trivial amount (even if he is off by a bit because of what I said)

Likes Buzz Bloom
Gravity and velocity both play a role, don't they? And fight each other in this case, iirc.
Yeah: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
I'm not sure which would win out at the crusing speed and altitude of commercial aircraft, but like above it is pretty trivial.

jackwhirl said:
Gravity and velocity both play a role, don't they? And fight each other in this case, iirc.
They do, and that's a good point, although as you also note, that doesn't change the conclusion that in any case it is a trivial amount. What you've pointed out, in fact, makes it even more trivial.

Thanks everyone for your responses - thought it would be a trivial amount (didn't realize how trivial...) - warm regards, Ben

1. How is age measured?

Age is typically measured in years, months, and days, starting from the day a person is born. In some cases, age may also be measured in hours or minutes, particularly for newborns.

2. How much younger will I be?

The amount by which a person can become younger varies depending on individual circumstances and the specific anti-aging methods being used. It is important to consult with a medical professional to determine the safest and most effective ways to slow down the aging process.

3. Can I reverse the aging process?

While we cannot completely reverse the aging process, there are ways to slow it down and maintain a more youthful appearance and overall health. These include proper nutrition, exercise, stress management, and certain medical treatments and procedures.

4. How do genetics play a role in aging?

Genetics can play a significant role in the aging process, as certain genes are responsible for how our bodies age and how we may be predisposed to certain age-related diseases. However, lifestyle factors also play a crucial role and can often override the effects of genetics.

5. Are there any risks associated with anti-aging methods?

As with any medical treatment or procedure, there are potential risks associated with anti-aging methods. It is important to consult with a qualified medical professional and thoroughly research any methods before pursuing them. Additionally, maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle can greatly reduce the risks of any anti-aging methods.