Resources to broaden knowledge of basic engineering

In summary, the conversation revolved around a recent family holiday where the speaker's friend, a retired engineer and mechanic, showed them his impressive home workshop and various motorized vehicles he had built. This sparked the speaker's interest in engineering and electronics, and they asked for recommendations on where to start learning. Suggestions were made for a book on basic machines and a series on electronics, both available for free online. Additional resources for mechanical engineering were also suggested.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
On a family holiday which we came home from a few hours ago, our friend was a retired engineer and mechanic. In his house in the countryside he has built himself a cool motor bike (average mountain bike with motor), an electrical quad bike... He has a very big workshop where he has all these old circuit boards, tools and much more. I could not get out of there!
So, I asked my father to explain to me how the one-gear motor bike functions, so he briefly explained to me.
This two-day holiday enriched my interest in engineering and electronics.
I want to now start (early!:) to get myself around some basic concepts in mechanical engineering, but I don't know where to start. What concepts to google first?
Could anybody kindly assist me with this spark inside me ready to explode into a bright career opportunity and future?
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would recommend "Basic Machines and How They Work" by Naval Education. I am on my phone right now, so it's hard to see. It is available on Amazon digital for about $8 and I also saw a link to scribd which I think may be free, not sure.

Likes berkeman
The book, published by the US Navy, is in the public domain. I found a site which hosts the PDF. http://www.constructionknowledge.net/public_domain_documents/Div_1_General/Basic_Skills/Basic Machines NAVEDTRA 14037 1994.pdf

For Electricity/electronics, take a look at the Navy's Electronics series. 24 modules from basic circuits to amplifiers, semiconductors, transmission circuits/antennas, RADAR and more.
Davidson College conveniently hosts the public domain PDFs. I made a BitLy link for ease of remembering.

NOTE: this link to Davidson College is broken, so I linked to the Wayback Machine archive of it. http://bit.ly/NEETSarch

Last edited:
Likes lekh2003, diogenesNY, berkeman and 1 other person
Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers (first edition in 1916, now in the 11th edition) comes in handy.

Searching "mechanical engineering" at archive.org has nearly 12,000 returns. Older volumes (many of the first returns are from the late 1800 to early 1900s) can usually be downloaded while other, more modern textbooks such as Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design, 9th edition are available for online viewing.

Likes scottdave

1. What are some recommended resources for learning about basic engineering?

There are many great resources available for broadening your knowledge of basic engineering. Some popular options include online courses such as Coursera or edX, textbooks and reference books, engineering blogs and websites, and hands-on workshops or seminars.

2. How can I find free resources to learn about basic engineering?

Many universities and organizations offer free online courses or downloadable materials on basic engineering concepts. You can also find free resources through online forums, YouTube tutorials, and open-access journals.

3. Are there any specific resources you would recommend for beginners in engineering?

For beginners, it is important to start with a solid foundation of basic engineering principles. Some recommended resources include "Engineering Fundamentals" by Saeed Moaveni, "Introduction to Engineering" by Paul H. Wright, and "Engineering Mechanics: Statics" by J.L. Meriam and L.G. Kraige.

4. How can I use online resources to supplement my engineering education?

Online resources can be a valuable supplement to your engineering education. You can use them to review or reinforce concepts taught in your courses, learn about new topics and technologies, or connect with other engineering students and professionals for networking and collaboration.

5. Can I use online resources to gain hands-on experience in engineering?

While online resources may not provide hands-on experience in the traditional sense, there are many virtual labs and simulations available that can help you apply engineering concepts and principles in a more practical way. You can also join online communities and participate in engineering challenges or competitions to gain hands-on experience and showcase your skills.