How often do you re-acquire dark and bias frames?

• B
  • Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias Frames
In summary, the question is whether it is necessary to create new dark and bias master frames for a camera sensor that may have degraded over time due to entropy. The person asking the question updates their frames a few times a year when they are regularly shooting, as it is easy for them to do with a cooled CCD camera.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Semi-random question: I generated dark and bias master frames (and from those, bad pixel maps) about a year ago. I'm sure my camera sensor has degraded over time.. b/c entropy... and so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to create a new set. How often do you 'update' your dark and bias master frames?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Perhaps a few times a year when I'm regularly shooting. I have a cooled CCD camera, so making a new set of dark and bias frames is trivial. I just set my camera up inside during the day and let it go to town taking as many exposures as I want.

1. How often do you need to take dark and bias frames?

It is recommended to take dark and bias frames at least once per observing session. This ensures that any changes in the camera's performance or environmental conditions are accounted for.

2. Do you need to take dark and bias frames for every image?

No, you do not need to take dark and bias frames for every image. However, it is important to take them regularly to ensure accurate calibration of your images.

3. How many dark and bias frames should be taken?

It is recommended to take at least 10-20 dark and bias frames for each filter used. The more frames you take, the better your calibration will be.

4. How long should the exposure time be for dark and bias frames?

The exposure time for dark frames should match the exposure time used for your science images. For bias frames, a short exposure time of 1-2 seconds is sufficient.

5. Can dark and bias frames be reused?

Yes, dark and bias frames can be reused as long as the camera settings and environmental conditions remain the same. It is recommended to take new frames if there are any changes in these factors.