Centrifugal Compressors - volumetric flow and pressure ratio

In summary, in a centrifugal compressor, as volumetric flow decreases, pressure ratio increases due to the relationship between volume and pressure in a closed system. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is based on the assumption that mass flow rate remains constant and the density of the fluid increases. This results in a higher pressure rise during flow diffusion. The decrease in volumetric flow also leads to a decrease in flow velocity and dynamic pressure before reaching the impeller. This understanding may be new for those new to compressor theory.
fitchie23
Hi all, I am relatively new to compressor theory and I am looking for a good explanation as to how volumetric flow affects pressure ratio between the stages within a centrifugal compressor. My current knowledge is that as volumetric flow decreases, pressure ratio increases as stated in one of the books I am reading. This doesn't seem intuitive to me and I am looking for a good solid expatiation as to why this occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Anthony

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on how you are measuring your volume flow, if you are using Actual Cubic Metres per Sec then as pressure doubles volume will be halved, (roughly) if using Standard Cubic Metres per Sec then volume flow will remain constant.

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I didn't know there was a varying definition for volume with the same SI units so that is an alien concept to me. I understand the thermodynamic concept that as volume is reduced in a closed system then pressure must rise to accommodate, but it doesn't seem intuitive when related to centrifugal compressors. Is it perhaps only under the assumption that mass flow rate is kept constant and therefore the density of the fluid must have increased with a reduction in volumetric flow, translating into an increased pressure rise during flow diffusion? Surley a decrease if volumetric flow for the same flow area must mean a reduction in flow velocity and therefore less dynamic pressure before the flow reaches the impeller? Again sorry if my understanding is completely off as i am new to how compressors work aerodynamic.

1. What is a centrifugal compressor and how does it work?

A centrifugal compressor is a type of dynamic compressor used to increase the pressure and flow of gases or vapors. It works by converting the kinetic energy of a rotating impeller into potential energy in the form of increased pressure and velocity of the gas or vapor passing through it.

2. What is the difference between volumetric flow and pressure ratio in centrifugal compressors?

Volumetric flow refers to the amount of gas or vapor that can be compressed and moved through the compressor in a certain amount of time. Pressure ratio, on the other hand, is the ratio of the discharge pressure to the suction pressure of the gas or vapor. In other words, it is a measure of how much the pressure is increased by the compressor.

3. How do you calculate the volumetric flow and pressure ratio in a centrifugal compressor?

The volumetric flow can be calculated by multiplying the gas flow rate by the specific volume of the gas at the compressor inlet. The pressure ratio can be calculated by dividing the discharge pressure by the suction pressure.

4. What factors affect the volumetric flow and pressure ratio in centrifugal compressors?

The volumetric flow and pressure ratio in centrifugal compressors are affected by factors such as the speed of the impeller, the shape and size of the impeller blades, the gas properties, and the inlet conditions of the gas or vapor.

5. How can the performance of a centrifugal compressor be improved?

The performance of a centrifugal compressor can be improved by optimizing the design of the impeller and diffuser, controlling the inlet conditions, and using variable speed drives to adjust the speed of the compressor to match the gas flow rate. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the compressor also play a crucial role in maintaining its performance.