How realistic is the concept of wormholes for space travel?

• Thread starter TheDonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wormholes
In summary, wormholes are thought to be spherical and created by spinning black holes. The singularity of a spinning black hole can envelope the event horizon, creating a ring-shaped singularity. These tears in space could potentially be used for long distance travel, but require a large, spinning black hole with immense mass.
TheDonk
So a wormhole is a ring within the event horizon. The idea is you go in at the right angle and you won't hit anything in the middle so you go into the hole. So where does it go? It comes out another one. That's the idea.

There seems to be many flaws in how this could possibly work so first before I try to prove wormholes couldn't exist I'd just like to confirm that everyone agrees that this is how wormholes are thought to be.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello Thedonk,
This question is better suited for an Astrophysics expert. I am moving the thread for this reason.

Thanks,
Ivan

From what I hear, wormholes are spherical. What you must be describing is a spinning black hole. If a black hole is spinning fast enough, the singularity of said gravitational mass will envelope the event horizon, which is the barrier where gravity is strong enough to prevent light from escaping. The faster the black hole spins, the more contained it's event horizon is.

A Schwartz'- (Bah, I cannot spell the rest of his name.) black hole has no spin, so it's event horizon reaches much farther. The end result of the spinning is a ring-shaped singularity. Apparently the effects of the toroid-singularity are tears in space, which could be used for long distance travel. Unfortunately, the black hole would have to spin swiftly, and have immense mass. The larger a black hole is, the weaker it's tidal forces. Thus, a large black hole is needed. Then, you have to spin the damn thing! Perhaps you could give it an electric potential, and then use electromagnets to manipulate the 'hole to your will.

You know, I am typing this a day after I checked out a copy of Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps: Einsteins Outrageous Legacy". How coincidental can this be? Hope this helped. I'd suggest finding a replica of the of the book.

Related to How realistic is the concept of wormholes for space travel?

1. How can something be both a hole and a tunnel?

Wormholes are a hypothetical concept in physics that is still being studied and researched. They are called "holes" because they are a shortcut through space-time, and "tunnels" because they connect two distant points in the universe. It is important to note that this terminology is used as an analogy and does not accurately describe the nature of a wormhole.

2. Can anything really travel through a wormhole?

Theoretically, objects can travel through a wormhole. However, the challenge lies in creating and stabilizing a wormhole large enough for an object to pass through without collapsing or being destroyed. This is still a major obstacle in making wormholes a reality.

3. How do wormholes defy the laws of physics?

Wormholes do not necessarily defy the laws of physics, but they do challenge our current understanding of space and time. The concept of a wormhole involves bending space and time, which is possible according to Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, we do not yet have the technology or understanding to fully explain and utilize wormholes.

4. Why are wormholes considered a far-fetched idea?

Wormholes are considered a far-fetched idea because they are still a purely theoretical concept. While they may be mathematically possible, we do not have any evidence or technology to prove their existence or utilize them. They also require an immense amount of energy and advanced technology, making them currently impossible to create.

5. Are there any real-life examples of wormholes?

At this point, there are no confirmed real-life examples of wormholes. However, some scientists theorize that black holes could potentially be connected by wormholes, creating a shortcut through the universe. This is still a highly debated topic in the scientific community and has not been proven.