How redshift/brightness lead to acceleration/deceleration?

• Thread starter astrobird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, the redshift and brightness observations of type 1a supernovae have led to the conclusion that the expansion of the universe has been accelerating. This is because the redshift is a measure of how much the universe has expanded since the photon was emitted, and an accelerated expansion would result in a larger redshift. This can be calculated through the integral D = c/H(z), where H(z) is the current Hubble expansion rate. In an accelerating universe, H(z) is nearly constant, resulting in a higher observed luminosity for a decelerated expansion. This is evidence for an accelerating universe, which is best explained by a cosmological constant.
astrobird
I have read several articles about this topic, on Wikipedia but for example also this article http://supernova.lbl.gov/PDFs/PhysicsTodayArticle.pdf and also several books that discuss the subject. In very brief my understanding is that:
- 1. When observing type 1a supernovae (standard candle) at medium-range distance, they appear fainter than you would expect based on their redshift value, because the expansion of the universe has been accelerating since the light we are observing left the supernovae.
- 2. When observing type 1a supernovae at very large distance, they appear brighter than you would expect based on their redshift value, because the expansion of the universe was decelerating still when the light we are observing left the supernovae.

My question now is how such conclusions can be made from the redshift and brightness observations. As is explained in the various texts the redshifts arises from the fact that the photons are stretched while on their way from the supernovae to earth. I understand how this works, but if the photons are stretched because of the expansion it also means that (because of the expansion) the distance between the photon and Earth becomes longer, is that right?
When then looking at point 1 above. The fact that the supernovae appear fainter than expected implies that they are more distant than expected (based on their redshift), however, if they are more distant than expected because the expansion accelerated, shouldn't this acceleration of expansion have affected the redshift in exactly the same way so that in the end distance from the object(s) to Earth as well as the redshift of the photons traveling from the object(s) to Earth would be equally affected?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious as in most texts I read the point 1 and 2 above are presented as very logical conclusions based on the observations, I just don't see how, please enlighten me:)

Space news on Phys.org
It's probably better to think of the redshift as the amount that the universe has expanded since the photon was emitted. A redshift of [itex]z=1[/itex], for example, means that the wavelength of that photon has doubled. This also means that distances within the universe have, on average, doubled since that photon was emitted.

Imagine, now, that we're going to compare two hypothetical supernovae, each at [itex]z=1[/itex]. For one supernova, let's imagine that the there was an accelerated expansion. For the other, there was deceleration. Which supernova will appear brighter? It turns out that the way this is calculated is by using the following integral:

[tex]D = c \int {dz \over H(z)}[/tex]

Now, an accelerated expansion has an [itex]H(z)[/itex] that is nearly constant, so that the distance from [itex]z=0[/itex] to [itez]z=1[/itex] is just [itex]D = c/H_0[/itex], where [itex]H_0[/itex] is the current Hubble expansion rate.

The decelerating expansion, on the other hand, has an [itex]H(z)[/itex] that was much bigger in the past. Because as [itex]H(z)[/itex] gets bigger, [itex]1/H(z)[/itex] gets smaller, the faster expansion in the past lowers the value of this integral, which lowers the distance.

So at the same redshift, the observed luminosity will be higher for a decelerated expansion.

Thanks, that helps a lot! It's indeed easier to understand when thinking of redshift as how much the universe expanded during the photon's travel.
I Googled a bit to fully understand the formulas you gave and read the bit under "evidence for acceleration" at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe which also helped.

One thing I don't get though is why an accelerating universe would have an H(z) that is nearly constant, wouldn't it change just like in a decelerating universe?

astrobird said:
Thanks, that helps a lot! It's indeed easier to understand when thinking of redshift as how much the universe expanded during the photon's travel.
I Googled a bit to fully understand the formulas you gave and read the bit under "evidence for acceleration" at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe which also helped.

One thing I don't get though is why an accelerating universe would have an H(z) that is nearly constant, wouldn't it change just like in a decelerating universe?
The simplest accelerating universe is a universe with no matter or radiation, just a cosmological constant. That universe has a constant [itex]H(z)[/itex]. The recession velocity between any two test particles in an expanding universe is [itex]v = Hd[/itex]. So if [itex]H[/itex] is a constant, as the distance between any two test particles increases, so does their recession velocity. Thus things accelerate away from one another.

In our current universe, [itex]H(z)[/itex] is of course changing, but it is changing slowly enough that there is accelerated expansion at present (and for the last few billion years).

Thanks!

Related to How redshift/brightness lead to acceleration/deceleration?

1. How does redshift affect the acceleration or deceleration of the universe?

Redshift is a phenomenon that occurs when light is stretched as it travels through space, causing it to appear more red to an observer. In the context of the universe, redshift is used to measure the expansion of the universe. Higher redshift values indicate greater distances between objects, which suggests that the universe is accelerating. Conversely, lower redshift values suggest that the universe is decelerating.

2. What is the relationship between the brightness of objects and the acceleration or deceleration of the universe?

The brightness of objects in the universe can also provide evidence for the acceleration or deceleration of the universe. Objects called Type Ia supernovae, which have a consistent brightness, are used as "standard candles" to measure the distance to other galaxies. By studying the brightness of these objects, scientists can determine the rate of expansion of the universe and whether it is accelerating or decelerating.

3. How do scientists use redshift and brightness data to study the expansion of the universe?

By combining redshift and brightness data from various objects in the universe, scientists can create a Hubble diagram, which shows the relationship between distance and redshift. This diagram can then be used to determine the expansion rate of the universe and whether it is accelerating or decelerating. This method, along with other cosmological measurements, has led to the discovery of dark energy, which is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. Can redshift and brightness data be used to predict the future of the universe?

While redshift and brightness data can provide valuable insights into the current state of the universe, they cannot be used to definitively predict the future. The behavior of the expansion of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research, and there are various theories and models that attempt to explain it. However, it is impossible to know for certain what the ultimate fate of the universe will be.

5. Is there a correlation between redshift and brightness in all objects in the universe?

No, there is not a direct correlation between redshift and brightness in all objects in the universe. While redshift can be used as a measure of distance and therefore indirectly affect the perceived brightness of an object, there are other factors that can influence an object's brightness, such as its intrinsic luminosity and the amount of dust and gas in its environment. Therefore, redshift and brightness are not always directly related and must be studied in conjunction with other factors to understand the expansion of the universe.