How reduced density matrix obtained from the matrix.

In summary, the reduced density matrix of a bipartite system can be obtained by tracing over the indices of the other subsystem in the composite density matrix, where the indices correspond to the basis of each subsystem. This results in a reduced matrix for each subsystem, with the same number of rows and columns as the original matrix.
munirah
Can any expert help me in explaining how this example below get the reduced density matrix from the density matrix in bipartite system.
$$\rho =\frac{1}{4}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ 1 & 1 & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & 1-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{4}) \\ cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{4}) & 1+sin(\alpha)\end{pmatrix}$$

For the subsystems, this yields, as below.

$$\rho_\text{A}=Tr_\text{B}(\rho)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

and

$$\rho_\text{B}=Tr_\text{A}(\rho)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1-\frac{1}{2}sin(\alpha) & cos^2(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ cos^2(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & 1+\frac{1}{2}sin(\alpha)\end{pmatrix}$$

How the reduced to each system A and B obtained?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a composite density of the form

[itex]\rho_{i j a b}[/itex]

where [itex]i, j[/itex] refer to a basis for system A and [itex]a, b[/itex] refer to a basis for system B, then

[itex](\rho_A)_{i j} = \sum_a \rho_{i j a a}[/itex]

[itex](\rho_B)_{a b} = \sum_i \rho_{i i a b}[/itex]

Your 4x4 matrix doesn't clearly indicate which indices are for [itex]A[/itex] and which are for [itex]B[/itex], but I assume you're doing something like:
  1. The element with row=1, column=1 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=1, b=1[/itex]
  2. The element with row=1, column=2 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=2, b=1[/itex]
  3. The element with row=2, column=1 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=1, b=2[/itex]
  4. The element with row=2, column=2 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=2, b=2[/itex]
  5. The element with row=1, column=3 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=1, b=1[/itex]
  6. The element with row=1, column=4 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=2, b=1[/itex]
  7. The element with row=2, column=3 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=1, b=2[/itex]
  8. The element with row=2, column=4 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=2, b=2[/itex]
  9. etc.
(or something like that)

Likes munirah
stevendaryl said:
If you have a composite density of the form

[itex]\rho_{i j a b}[/itex]

where [itex]i, j[/itex] refer to a basis for system A and [itex]a, b[/itex] refer to a basis for system B, then

[itex](\rho_B)_{a b} = \sum_i \rho_{i i a b}[/itex]

Your 4x4 matrix doesn't clearly indicate which indices are for [itex]A[/itex] and which are for [itex]B[/itex], but I assume you're doing something like:
  1. The element with row=1, column=1 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=1, b=1[/itex]
  2. The element with row=1, column=2 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=2, b=1[/itex]
  3. The element with row=2, column=1 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=1, b=2[/itex]
  4. The element with row=2, column=2 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=2, b=2[/itex]
  5. The element with row=1, column=3 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=1, b=1[/itex]
  6. The element with row=1, column=4 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=2, b=1[/itex]
  7. The element with row=2, column=3 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=1, b=2[/itex]
  8. The element with row=2, column=4 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=2, b=2[/itex]
  9. etc.
(or something like that)
thankyou for helping me. really appreciate.
Sorry, I want to ask more either the notation for

or

[itex](\rho_A)_{i j} = \sum_a \rho_{i j a b}[/itex] ?

Thank you very much

munirah said:
thankyou for helping me. really appreciate.
Sorry, I want to ask more either the notation for

or

[itex](\rho_A)_{i j} = \sum_a \rho_{i j a b}[/itex] ?

Thank you very much

The first one is correct. That's sort of obvious, because the second one has a free index, [itex]b[/itex] on the right-hand side, but not on the left-hand-side.

Likes munirah
stevendaryl said:
The first one is correct. That's sort of obvious, because the second one has a free index, [itex]b[/itex] on the right-hand side, but not on the left-hand-side.
tqvm stevendaryl for your respon

stevendaryl, can you give me the example according what you explain. I already try to understand. please

You have to give the context. There's no way to guess from just throwing a matrix in the discussion what it means! There must be a clear definition in the textbook/problem sheet given. Otherwise it's just useless!

munirah said:
stevendaryl, can you give me the example according what you explain. I already try to understand. please

I don't understand what it is that you don't understand. The density matrix for a two-component system has 4 indices: two for the first component, and two for the second component. To form the reduced matrix for one component, you "trace" over the indices for the other component. A trace means setting the two indices to the same value and summing over all possibilities.

Your original matrix doesn't clearly identify those 4 indices, so it's not possible to form the reduced matrix without additional information. That was probably present, if you saw the problem in a textbook.

From your 16-element matrix, what I'm assuming the components of [itex]\rho_{ijab}[/itex] are:
  1. [itex]\rho_{1111} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
  2. [itex]\rho_{1112} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
  3. [itex]\rho_{1121} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
  4. [itex]\rho_{1122} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
  5. [itex]\rho_{1211} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) - sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
  6. [itex]\rho_{1212} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) + sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
  7. [itex]\rho_{1221} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) - sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
  8. [itex]\rho_{1222} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) + sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
Etc.

So
[itex](\rho_A)_{ij} = \rho_{ij11} + \rho_{ij22}[/itex]
[itex](\rho_B)_{ab} = \rho_{11ab} + \rho_{22ab}[/itex]

Likes munirah and vanhees71
tqvm stevendaryl. I understand now

1. How is the reduced density matrix obtained from the full density matrix?

The reduced density matrix is obtained by tracing out the degrees of freedom of the unobserved subsystem from the full density matrix of a larger system. This can be done by taking the partial trace of the full density matrix over the degrees of freedom of the unobserved subsystem.

2. What is the significance of the reduced density matrix in quantum mechanics?

The reduced density matrix provides a way to describe the behavior of a subsystem within a larger quantum system. It contains all the information about the reduced system that can be obtained through measurements, and can be used to calculate expectation values and probabilities of observables.

3. Can the reduced density matrix be obtained from any density matrix?

Yes, the reduced density matrix can be obtained from any density matrix, as long as the full system is in a pure state. In the case of a mixed state, the reduced density matrix can still be obtained, but it will not contain all the information about the reduced system.

4. How is the reduced density matrix related to entanglement?

The reduced density matrix can be used to quantify the degree of entanglement between two subsystems in a larger quantum system. If the reduced density matrix is a pure state, then there is no entanglement between the two subsystems. If it is a mixed state, then there is some degree of entanglement present.

5. Is there a simple formula for obtaining the reduced density matrix?

There is no general formula for obtaining the reduced density matrix, as it depends on the specific system and the degrees of freedom that are traced out. However, for simple systems such as two-qubit systems, there are explicit formulas that can be used to calculate the reduced density matrix.