How seriously will colleges take non-AP classes?

In summary, public schools in the United States are increasingly relying on AP courses to boost GPAs, but some colleges do not take them seriously. If you are taking the most challenging courses available at your school, earning As in those courses will not usually work against you. However, you need to do well on the standardized tests (AP, ACT, etc.).
thomaddox4
Hi everyone, just a quick question about college applications. I'm in a STEM program at a public school, and some of the classes that I take are weighted as AP even though they are not official AP classes. Some people that I've talked to have seemed to disregard these as just the school being too easy and them acting as GPA boosters, and I'd like to know if colleges will have a similar attitude. My school is pretty reputable, but will there be colleges that don't take them seriously? I'm starting to get a little worried that they won't, and if this is the case than my transcript (and GPA) will look much weaker than it should.

Physics news on Phys.org
if a college is knowledgeable of the grading practices of a school/system, for example, new york city schools, they can and sometimes will recalculate the applicants GPA and use that in their decision. before anyone starts screaming, I heard that directly from an admissions counselor at a university where my oldest currently attends, this individual told me that they routinely do it to counter act the public schools grade inflation policies, i.e. upping the points for an AP course.

Dr Transport said:
if a college is knowledgeable of the grading practices of a school/system, for example, new york city schools, they can and sometimes will recalculate the applicants GPA and use that in their decision. before anyone starts screaming, I heard that directly from an admissions counselor at a university where my oldest currently attends, this individual told me that they routinely do it to counter act the public schools grade inflation policies, i.e. upping the points for an AP course.

They do take into account the difficulty of the courses though, right? It seems silly to me that someone that might be taking way, way easier classes than me could have a higher unweighted GPA and therefore be preferred by colleges.

thomaddox4 said:
They do take into account the difficulty of the courses though, right? It seems silly to me that someone that might be taking way, way easier classes than me could have a higher unweighted GPA and therefore be preferred by colleges.

I don't have an answer for that...you'd have to check with the admissions office at the school you are applying to, each university has different policies.

From what I can tell, dual enrollment courses tend to have a better reputation for college admissions than AP courses, whose reputation has been in gradual decline for the past 10-15 years. Test scores (ACT, SAT Subject, etc.) and other accomplishments also carry more weight than grades in AP classes and other classes. There are very few high schools whose grades are trusted any more by selective colleges and universities.

Grades below an "A" can work against you. If you are taking the most challenging courses available at your school, earning As in those courses will not usually work against you. But you need to do well on the standardized tests (AP, ACT, etc.)

Given the decline in reputation of AP courses and the uncertain outcomes on AP exams, I recommend taking the dual enrollment equivalents if at all possible. Earning As in accredited Calc 1 and Calc 2 courses through a local college means a lot more than AP Calc, etc.

1. How important are AP classes for college admissions?

While AP classes can certainly enhance a student's college application, they are not the only factor that colleges consider. Admissions officers also look at a student's overall GPA, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. So while AP classes can be beneficial, they are not the sole determining factor for college admissions.

2. Will not taking AP classes hurt my chances of getting into a good college?

Not taking AP classes will not necessarily hurt your chances of getting into a good college. As mentioned before, admissions officers consider a variety of factors in addition to AP classes. It is important to challenge yourself academically and take courses that align with your interests and strengths.

3. Are non-AP classes seen as less rigorous by colleges?

Colleges understand that not all high schools offer AP classes or that students may not have the opportunity to take them. They will still look at the level of difficulty of the courses available at your high school and how you performed in those classes. So non-AP classes are not necessarily seen as less rigorous, as long as you are taking challenging courses and excelling in them.

4. Can taking non-AP classes affect my chances of getting college credit?

In most cases, taking AP classes can increase your chances of earning college credit. However, many colleges also offer credit for non-AP classes if you perform well in them and take a placement exam. It is important to research the specific policies of the colleges you are interested in to understand their credit policies for non-AP classes.

5. Are there any benefits to taking non-AP classes?

Yes, there are several benefits to taking non-AP classes. They can allow you to explore different subjects and interests, and they can also help you build a strong foundation in a particular subject before taking on the more challenging AP level. Non-AP classes can also still be viewed positively by colleges if you excel in them and demonstrate a strong work ethic and academic abilities.