Would taking Calc III make up for having *Zero* AP classes?

In summary: Indeed, since neither AP Calculus AB nor BC include multivariable (vector) calculus, at least according to Wikipedia, I would argue that if you've completed college-level Calculus I and II successfully, AP Calculus is unnecessary.But in theory, the classes at the community college, would be taught by someone who at the bare minimum has a masters degree. You will be getting college credit, and you get an idea of what is somewhat like. You get to be that little kid in the math class, that everyone is marveled by lol.How about also taking the equivalent of AP English, and other general ed requirements, at the community college?
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Hi PF! :')

Ultimately, I've taken zero AP classes in my entire time in high school and, at first, I didn't see this as a problem. But now there are a couple of people who've told me otherwise (in terms of getting into college for undergrad). SO, if I take calc III at my local community college next Spring, do you think that that would make up for my weak transcript? Would it show colleges that, hey, I'm not as lazy as my transcript implies?

Physics news on Phys.org
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Ultimately, I've taken zero AP classes in my entire time in high school and, at first, I didn't see this as a problem. But now there are a couple of people who've told me otherwise (in terms of getting into college for undergrad). SO, if I take calc III at my local community college next Spring, do you think that that would make up for my weak transcript? Would it show colleges that, hey, I'm not as lazy as my transcript implies?
Getting good grades in college classes would go a long way toward overcoming weak HS grades.

However, are you ready for Calc 3 in college? Your college will definitely have prerequisites for getting into this class.

AP? A plus? Not really. Bragging/boasting, yes.

Mark44 said:
Getting good grades in college classes would go a long way toward overcoming weak HS grades.

However, are you ready for Calc 3 in college? Your college will definitely have prerequisites for getting into this class.
Whew! Thanks for letting me know! And, yes, I've got the prereqs. I'm currently taking calc II at the same college, but only because I would've be extremely bored this fall without it.

Wait, would schools still question why I didn't take any AP classes? Because, sure, I'm taking a lot of math, but there's a lack of advanced English, History, etc.,etc.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Mm AP doesn't stand for A plus.
No, I meant, "That AP classes should not be regarded as a 'positive' asset." Status symbol, yes. Meaningful status symbol, no.

Likes vela, russ_watters and ProfuselyQuarky
Bystander said:
No, I meant, "That AP classes should not be regarded as a 'positive' asset." Status symbol, yes. Meaningful status symbol, no.
ooh, sorry lol :") I've never heard anyone express that opinion, since AP class rigor > college prep class rigor, but that's very assuring, thank you.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
that's very assuring, thank you.
... used to mean something, but not a whole lot these days.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Wait, would schools still question why I didn't take any AP classes?
I don't believe so. If your grades in the college classes are strong, I don't think anyone will care that you didn't take AP courses.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Bystander said:
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Start at the very beginning of the Calculus series (meaning, Calculus & Analytic Geometry 1), IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED. If you are not qualified, then start at something lower, like Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, or Trigonometry.

Don't try to fool yourself. AP Calculus is a very dubious status symbol. What is important is, what competence you have at any particular time.

Just in case I misunderstood - Whatever sequence of Mathematics courses you go through during college or university, once you earn successful credit in Calculus 3, your high school A.P. Calculus credit is not important any more.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
symbolipoint said:
once you earn successful credit in Calculus 3, your high school A.P. Calculus credit is not important any more.
Indeed, since neither AP Calculus AB nor BC include multivariable (vector) calculus, at least according to Wikipedia, I would argue that if you've completed college-level Calculus I and II successfully, AP Calculus is unnecessary.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and symbolipoint
But in theory, the classes at the community college, would be taught by someone who at the bare minimum has a masters degree. You will be getting college credit, and you get an idea of what is somewhat like. You get to be that little kid in the math class, that everyone is marveled by lol.

How about also taking the equivalent of AP English, and other general ed requirements, at the community college?

MidgetDwarf said:
But in theory, the classes at the community college, would be taught by someone who at the bare minimum has a masters degree. You will be getting college credit, and you get an idea of what is somewhat like. You get to be that little kid in the math class, that everyone is marveled by lol.

Not sure what that is. Community college instruction for Mathematics is good. At the college level, a student should want a teacher with at least Master's degree. These teachers can also teach the remedial math courses well, which is good because many c.c. students still need some of those courses.

MidgetDwarf said:
How about also taking the equivalent of AP English, and other general ed requirements, at the community college?
This means that now that the student is a little older (or more) than when in high school, he/she/they can do better in these English courses than before. Having whatever A.P. courses in high school would still not have been a waste. It just means better possible preparation in case taking similar courses at the c.c.

MidgetDwarf said:
I never considered this, but that might be a good idea, since I have only a single strictly writing-based course next semester. Thanks.

Mark44 said:
If your grades in the college classes are strong,
Hypothetically speaking, if I accidentally got a B in Calc II, would that count as being a "strong" grade?

Where would a B in Calc II be between the range of downright awful to superb, given that the rest of my application is pretty fine? If the admissions committee of a school was wavering between a rejection and an acceptance, would that B be a turning point to rejection? Or still look great? =_=

Just wondering as I just left an exam and currently feel awful :) Sorry. I'll probs come back to read this post and feel stupid for asking.

You might accidentally get a B grade in Calculus II, but if it is not a true sign that you did as well as B should mean but that you did worse, then you would likely not be competent enough to succeed in Calculus III. How honest do you know how to be with yourself? If you can detect that you learned less well than the grade you were issued, then at least you have the chance to review what you had just finished studying in order to be ready for the next course.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Hey, quarky, you're back. :smile: Haven't seen you around in a while.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
What grade are you in-- are you a senior? U.S.?

I'm going to assume that you are in the U.S, applying to schools in the U.S., and your school offers AP courses and you decided not to take them-- no university will penalize you for not taking them if they weren't offered.

What types of colleges are you hoping to get into? I'll bet there are plenty that would give you a great education that aren't terribly selective, but for those that are very selective, they really want to see students taking a rigorous courseload each year. Calc III helps, but more so at some schools than others.

For schools you're interested in, search "[school name] common data set" (or CDS). Once you've found that, look for a chart that indicates which factors are most and least important for admission to that college. You can see how rigor of course load compares to all the other factors.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Walker23 said:
For schools you're interested in, search "[school name] common data set" (or CDS).

I never saw those before. Not that I am applying anywhere (been out of school for decades) but it is interesting information. Thanks for that.

phinds said:
Hey, quarky, you're back. :smile: Haven't seen you around in a while.
Heya phinds! Yes, I am :smile:

Walker23 said:
but for those that are very selective, they really want to see students taking a rigorous courseload each year.
And here lies the dilemma LOL
Walker23 said:
For schools you're interested in, search "[school name] common data set" (or CDS). Once you've found that, look for a chart that indicates which factors are most and least important for admission to that college. You can see how rigor of course load compares to all the other factors.
Whoa, okay that's really cool. thanks!

1. Would taking Calc III be equivalent to taking AP Calculus?

No, taking Calc III is not the same as taking AP Calculus. AP courses are designed to be more rigorous and cover more material than a standard college course. Additionally, AP courses may also offer the opportunity to earn college credit, while Calc III may not.

2. Can taking Calc III make up for not having taken any AP classes?

It depends on the college or university's admissions requirements. Some institutions may view taking Calc III as a challenging course and see it as a positive aspect of your application. However, other schools may specifically require AP courses for admissions.

3. Is Calc III a difficult course to take in place of AP classes?

This can vary from individual to individual. Calc III is typically considered to be a challenging course, but it may be more manageable for some students compared to an AP course. It is important to consider your strengths and interests when deciding on which course to take.

4. Will taking Calc III improve my chances of getting into a competitive university?

Again, this will depend on the university's admissions requirements and the strength of your overall application. Taking a challenging course like Calc III can show determination and dedication, but it is just one aspect of the admissions process.

5. Are there any benefits to taking Calc III instead of AP classes?

Taking Calc III can still demonstrate your proficiency in advanced mathematics, and it may also give you a head start in college if the course transfers as credit. Additionally, it may provide a different learning experience compared to an AP course, with potentially smaller class sizes and more individualized attention.