Learn Algebra 1: Self-Study Guide & Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to learn advanced math, specifically for the purpose of studying meteorology. They ask for recommendations on what to learn before jumping into geometry, and are directed to a website with free downloadable textbooks. It is suggested to start with pre-algebra and work through the different levels of algebra before moving on to geometry, which is often covered in algebra-trigonometry. The conversation also mentions the option of seeking help in the homework section of forums if needed.
biologyboy89
Hey guys, I have never finished algebra 1 in high school which was around 10 years ago. I want to start myself on a good foundation so I can learn more advanced math. My ultimate goal in the end is to learn meteorology; so I need to start somewhere.

For algebra 1 are you able to list things that I should teach myself before I jump to geometry? Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
biologyboy89 said:
Hey guys, I have never finished algebra 1 in high school which was around 10 years ago. I want to start myself on a good foundation so I can learn more advanced math. My ultimate goal in the end is to learn meteorology; so I need to start somewhere.

For algebra 1 are you able to list things that I should teach myself before I jump to geometry? Thanks in advanced.
You can find what you're looking for here: https://openstax.org/subjects
If you start from left to right (Pre-algebra, Algebra - Elementary, Algebra - Intermediate etc.) you'll find what's needed. To see a list, you can simply click on the books, which are free to download, and then on "Table of Content".

Likes phoenix95
In the list on the openstax site, geometry isn't listed. A lot of the concepts of geometry are covered in algebra-trigonometry. Older textbooks sometimes called this "Analytic Geometry," which is like geometry but with coordinates.

Thank you so much! This is going to be so much help, now I won't have to go to a bunch of different sources.

biologyboy89 said:
Thank you so much! This is going to be so much help, now I won't have to go to a bunch of different sources.
Remember that you're always welcome to our homework section of the forums if you're stuck somewhere. Only requirements are to use the (automatically inserted) template and show some effort to help us understand, what the problem is. It's an excellent tutorial for free, and far better to ask for support than to waste too much time on a specific issue or exercise. We like to help you to learn something, although I must admit we do not like to be considered a solution factory.

1. What is Algebra 1?

Algebra 1 is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols in order to solve equations and understand relationships between different quantities.

2. Why is it important to learn Algebra 1?

Algebra 1 is an important subject because it provides a foundation for more advanced math courses and is also applicable to various fields such as science, engineering, and economics. It helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in many areas.

3. Is it possible to self-study Algebra 1?

Yes, it is possible to self-study Algebra 1 with the right resources and dedication. The "Learn Algebra 1: Self-Study Guide & Tips" provides a comprehensive guide to help individuals learn the subject at their own pace.

4. What tips can you provide for learning Algebra 1?

Some tips for learning Algebra 1 include regularly practicing problems, seeking help when needed, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, and using real-life examples to understand the relevance of the subject.

5. How can I track my progress while self-studying Algebra 1?

To track your progress, you can set specific goals, regularly review your notes and practice problems, and take self-assessment quizzes or tests. The "Learn Algebra 1: Self-Study Guide & Tips" also provides progress checklists and practice exercises to help monitor your understanding of the subject.