How sodium alginate changes the viscosity in water?

In summary, the sodium alginate increases the viscosity of water by creating a network of molecules interacting via hydrogen bonds.
Nahahahah
Hello everyone.
I have a question about the sodium alginate (NaC6H7O6)n.

Recently, sodium alginate is widely used for fabricating edible bottle.
And I also try to utilize sodium alginate for controlling the viscosity of water.
I found that with small amount of sodium alginate powder in DI water (0.1 ~ 1.0 wt%), I could get more viscous water which is still fluent, not like edible bottle.

However, I'm not sure how the sodium alginate increases the viscosity of water.
What I know is that the sodium alginate is ionized into sodium cation and else.
But I don't think that is the only reason that makes water viscous.

Will you let me know the molecular equation of reaction between sodium alginate and DI water??
Thank you so much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not about a simple reaction - the only reaction is that you have already listed, dissociation into cations and anions. What is important here are properties of the alginate and its interactions with water and other alginate molecules. It is more or less about creating a network of molecules interacting via hydrogen bonds.

Borek said:
It is not about a simple reaction - the only reaction is that you have already listed, dissociation into cations and anions. What is important here are properties of the alginate and its interactions with water and other alginate molecules. It is more or less about creating a network of molecules interacting via hydrogen bonds.
Thank you sir for you reply!
I'm sorry but I have another question...
The process that creating a network via hydrogen bonds means not just interaction between alginate and alginate, but also interaction between alginate and water molecule??
I'm sorry.. Because I'm not the chemistry major student, it confuses me...

Yes, water molecules definitely take part in the process. A lot depends on the relative concentrations of water and alginate.

In general, viscosity is kind of a measure of how easily molecules in the liquid can move past each other. The stronger the interactions, the more the molecules are "glued" to each other and more difficult to move, the higher the viscosity.

1. How does sodium alginate change the viscosity in water?

Sodium alginate is a natural polymer derived from seaweed that has a unique ability to absorb and hold onto water molecules. When added to water, the sodium alginate molecules form a thick, gel-like structure that increases the overall viscosity of the water.

2. What factors influence the effectiveness of sodium alginate in changing viscosity?

The effectiveness of sodium alginate in changing viscosity depends on several factors, such as the concentration of sodium alginate, the temperature of the water, and the presence of other substances that may interact with the sodium alginate molecules.

3. How does the concentration of sodium alginate affect its ability to change viscosity in water?

The higher the concentration of sodium alginate, the more molecules there are to form a gel-like structure in the water. This results in a thicker and more viscous solution. However, too high of a concentration can also lead to clumping and a decrease in effectiveness.

4. Can sodium alginate change the viscosity of all types of water?

Yes, sodium alginate can change the viscosity of most types of water, including tap water and distilled water. However, the effectiveness may vary depending on the mineral content and pH of the water.

5. How long does it take for sodium alginate to change the viscosity of water?

The time it takes for sodium alginate to change the viscosity of water varies depending on the concentration of sodium alginate, temperature, and other factors. Generally, it can take a few minutes for the full effects to be seen, but the process may continue for several hours.