"Sodium alginate solution" vs. "Alginic acid"

• Thread starter Nahahahah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses research with sodium alginate and the possibility of obtaining alginic acid by dissolving it in water. The speaker also mentions testing the pH of the solution and clarifies that NaC6H7O6 is an experimental formula. The solution of alginate is expected to be slightly basic, but the pH may vary depending on the type and concentration of water used for dissolving.
Nahahahah
Hi everyone.
I'm doing research with sodium alginate (NaC6H7O6) and I really need your help.

Sodium alginate is a cell wall component of seaweed or brown algae.
During the research, I read some pages telling that we can get alginic acid by dissolve sodium alginate in water.

But what I think is that, if the NaC6H7O6 is dissolve in water, it will ionized and loss Na+.
Then the solution will be a base, not an acid...
And I test the pH with sodium alginate solution and I got a pH 7
(Actually, I didn't dissolve much powder)

Is it right that the solution of sodium alginate is a really acid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How did you test for pH?

NaC6H7O6 is an experimental formula, not the real one (not that it matters much, just for clarification), as the alginic acid is a natural polymer.

Solution of alginate should have pH a bit on the basic side, typical for solutions of salts of weak acids. No idea what water you have used for dissolving and what is the concentration, so it is a bit difficult to comment on, but in general DI water is typically a bit acidic due to the dissolved CO2, if the pH of the solution is 7 chances are it is already more alkaline than it was before.

What is the difference between sodium alginate solution and alginic acid?

Sodium alginate solution and alginic acid are two forms of the same compound, but with different properties. Sodium alginate solution is a liquid form of alginic acid that has been dissolved in water, while alginic acid is a solid form of the compound. Sodium alginate solution is typically used for scientific experiments and industrial applications, while alginic acid is used in food and pharmaceutical products.

How are sodium alginate solution and alginic acid made?

Sodium alginate solution and alginic acid are both derived from algae. The algae is first harvested and then treated with alkali to extract the alginic acid. This acid is then neutralized with sodium carbonate to create sodium alginate solution. The solid form of alginic acid is created by drying and grinding the extracted compound.

What are the main uses of sodium alginate solution and alginic acid?

Sodium alginate solution is commonly used in scientific experiments as a thickening agent, as well as in industrial applications such as textile printing and paper sizing. Alginic acid, on the other hand, is often used in food products as a stabilizer and thickening agent, and in pharmaceuticals as a binder and disintegrant.

Are there any safety concerns when working with sodium alginate solution and alginic acid?

Sodium alginate solution and alginic acid are generally considered safe to handle, but precautions should be taken when working with the compounds. Both can cause skin and eye irritation, so it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles when handling them. Ingesting large amounts of either compound can also cause gastrointestinal issues.

Can sodium alginate solution and alginic acid be used interchangeably?

No, sodium alginate solution and alginic acid have different properties and therefore cannot be used interchangeably. Sodium alginate solution is a liquid form of the compound and is typically used for its thickening and gelling properties, while alginic acid is a solid form and is used for its binding and stabilizing properties.