How to add Ammeter in LT Spice Schematic?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to measure current in LT Spice, even though there is not a specific component labeled as an ammeter. The options mentioned include using a small resistor, existing resistors, or a DC voltage source of zero volts. These methods can be used in different simulation modes and may require labeling to indicate an ammeter. The speaker expresses gratitude for this helpful solution.
Tarek EEIT
It may sound so silly question but I am trying for last 2 hours and no result.

I have drawn the following schematic in LT Spice and want to add an ammeter in the black rectangle. In component menu, I don't find anything named ammeter.

6656046985_51ca5b45de.jpg

Any clue? Your help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There isn't an ammeter in LT Spice. However, you can certainly measure current.

You can do this by adding a VERY small resistor like 1 milliohm and then moving your mouse onto it. This will give the current at that point.

You can also just do this with any of the existing resistors. Just move your mouse onto them and read off the current in the box at the bottom of the screen.

This would be used when you have the simulation in DC operating point mode.

In Transient mode, you just click on a component and get the current waveform through it.

Another way is to use a DC voltage source of zero volts in the position you require. This will look like an ammeter and behave like one. Just put a label next to it to infer that it is an ammeter.

vk6kro said:
There isn't an ammeter in LT Spice. However, you can certainly measure current.

You can do this by adding a VERY small resistor like 1 milliohm and then moving your mouse onto it. This will give the current at that point.

You can also just do this with any of the existing resistors. Just move your mouse onto them and read off the current in the box at the bottom of the screen.

This would be used when you have the simulation in DC operating point mode.

In Transient mode, you just click on a component and get the current waveform through it.

Another way is to use a DC voltage source of zero volts in the position you require. This will look like an ammeter and behave like one. Just put a label next to it to infer that it is an ammeter.

Awesome reply. Thanks for your comment. I didn't thought in this way. I just tried your process and it works!

1. How do I add an ammeter in LT Spice Schematic?

To add an ammeter in LT Spice Schematic, you first need to select the component that represents the ammeter. This can typically be found under the "Miscellaneous" category. Once selected, you can place the ammeter in your circuit by clicking on the desired location.

2. How do I connect the ammeter to my circuit in LT Spice Schematic?

After placing the ammeter in your circuit, you will need to connect it to the desired nodes in your circuit. This can be done by clicking on one end of the ammeter and then clicking on the desired node in your circuit. You can repeat this process for the other end of the ammeter to fully connect it to your circuit.

3. Can I change the range of the ammeter in LT Spice Schematic?

Yes, you can change the range of the ammeter in LT Spice Schematic. This can be done by right-clicking on the ammeter and selecting "Edit Properties". From there, you can change the range of the ammeter to suit your specific needs.

4. How do I view the current reading on the ammeter in LT Spice Schematic?

To view the current reading on the ammeter, you can run a simulation of your circuit. Once the simulation is complete, you can view the current reading on the ammeter by hovering your cursor over it. The current reading will be displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the LT Spice window.

5. Can I add multiple ammeters to my circuit in LT Spice Schematic?

Yes, you can add multiple ammeters to your circuit in LT Spice Schematic. Simply repeat the process of selecting and placing the ammeter for each additional ammeter you want to add. You can also change the properties of each ammeter to display different ranges or units.