How to approach a professor about two positions

In summary, the individual is planning on approaching a professor for an honors thesis and is interested in working with them for the summer as well. They are unsure about how to bring up their interest in other summer programs while also expressing their desire to work with the professor. They received advice to ask the professor about the best course of action and consider the benefits of a longer project. It is acceptable to mention other programs of interest, as long as they are good options.
TheCanadian
I'm going to (very likely) be doing an honours thesis next fall. There is one professor at my university I've taken a course under before who is awesome and their work is really intriguing. I would love to have them as my supervisor and intend to approach them with regards to it (i.e. asking them if they are planning to accept students next year) soon. I am also looking at summer opportunities now, and would also be very interested in working under the same professor for the summer, too. With that being said, I do intend on applying to a few programs locally and abroad for the summer. I'm still young and trying to get as much exposure to different fields right now before I make further decisions with regards to future studies.

With that being said, I should also have backup options in place in case I don't get accepted to any of the programs outside of my university. But if I do get accepted, I feel like it would be out of taste to tell my thesis supervisor I have decided to do something different for the summer rather than work with them if I've already asked them to apply for a summer grant for me. I'm sure the potential supervisor would understand that I prefer to have a different experience in the summer just so I can better gauge where my interests lie, but regardless, I'm the one asking for a position. Beggars can't be choosers, and I'm just a little uncertain on how to approach my potential thesis supervisor on this topic. Should I even ask them about summer opportunities? Or should I only ask them about doing a thesis under their supervision and not mention summer plans? I would love to work with them for my thesis, but for the summer, I would like to at least know what possibilities I have...

I feel like an ass for even writing this, so any words of advice you have are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask your professor if they would be willing to supervise your honors thesis, and then tell them that you want to apply to summer research programs as well, and ask them if there's any course of action they would suggest you take to be able to do both. I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you to ensure you get the best possible experience doing research.

Likes TheCanadian and Timo
axmls said:
Ask your professor if they would be willing to supervise your honors thesis, and then tell them that you want to apply to summer research programs as well, and ask them if there's any course of action they would suggest you take to be able to do both. I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you to ensure you get the best possible experience doing research.

Thank you for the response!

I'll definitely use this advice. Just to add: I don't want to sound overly naïve since I have been looking at different summer programs quite a bit. Is there any way you would recommend bringing up asking about the best course of action? Since I'm sure they'll have advice, but I also want to ensure that they know I'd be ecstatic to work with them...although when I don't quite commit immediately and say I'm still looking into other summer programs, I'm just a little uncertain on how that will come across.

In a different context - applying to grad schools - one of my classmates asked whether it'd be ok to let a grad school know you which other programmes one is interested in. The reply a senior professor gave was that it's ok, as long as all the other grad schools were good ones too, since that showed your physics judgement.

But you should also consider that a longer period of time on one project may allow you to accomplish something more substantial. It's definitely ok to ask upfront at the start. Similarly you would hope the professor would be frank about what he thinks of the various options.

Likes TheCanadian
atyy said:
In a different context - applying to grad schools - one of my classmates asked whether it'd be ok to let a grad school know you which other programmes one is interested in. The reply a senior professor gave was that it's ok, as long as all the other grad schools were good ones too, since that showed your physics judgement.

But you should also consider that a longer period of time on one project may allow you to accomplish something more substantial. It's definitely ok to ask upfront at the start. Similarly you would hope the professor would be frank about what he thinks of the various options.

Thank you.

1. How should I address the professor when approaching them about two positions?

It is important to address the professor with respect and formality. You can use their title (e.g. Dr., Professor), followed by their last name. For example, "Dear Dr. Smith".

2. What is the best way to request a meeting with the professor to discuss two positions?

The best way to request a meeting is through email. Be sure to introduce yourself, explain your interest in the two positions, and request a time for a meeting that is convenient for the professor.

3. What information should I include in my email to the professor?

In your email, you should introduce yourself and your background, explain your interest in the two positions, and highlight any relevant experience or skills. You should also attach your resume and any other supporting documents.

4. Should I mention my interest in both positions or focus on one?

It is important to mention your interest in both positions and explain why you are interested in each one. This will show the professor that you have carefully considered both positions and are genuinely interested in working in their lab.

5. How can I make a good impression when approaching a professor about two positions?

Be professional, polite, and enthusiastic in your communication with the professor. Show a genuine interest in their work and explain how your skills and experience align with their research. Also, be sure to follow up with a thank-you note after the meeting.