How to calculate an operator in the Heisenberg picture?

In summary: Let's wait for @Haorong Wu to have a go at this :smile:, but notice that there are two first-order differential equations, so only two constants (initial conditions) are needed.For example, inhow is ##c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t}## an operator?##c_1## and ##c_2## are operators because they are differentials. When you use the operator notation, you are saying that these are the "names" of the operators. In this context, ##c_1## is the operator that produces the derivative ##d
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
Consider a particle subject to a one-dimensional simple harmonic oscillator potential. Suppose that at ##t=0## the state vector is given by

##exp \left ( \frac {-ipa} { \hbar } \right ) \left | 0 \right >##

where ##\left | 0 \right >## is one for which ##\left < x \right >= \left < p \right > =0##, ##p## is the momentum operator and ##a## is some number with dimension of length. Using the Heisenberg picture, evaluate the expectation value ##\left < x \right >## for ## t \ge 0 ##.
Relevant Equations
##\frac {d A^{\left ( H \right )}} {dt} = \frac {1} {i \hbar} \left [ A^{\left ( H \right )} , H \right ]##
I have some problems when calculating the operators in Heisenberg picture.

First, ##\frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {1} {i \hbar} \left [ x, H \right ] = \frac {p} {m}##.

Similarly, ##\frac {dp} {dt} = \frac {1} {i \hbar} \left [ p, H \right ] = - m \omega ^ 2 x##.

These are coupled equations. I solved them and had

##x\left ( t \right ) = c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t}##, and ##p\left ( t \right ) = I am \omega \left ( - c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t} \right ) + c_3##.

Suppose the initial conditions are ##x\left ( 0 \right ) =x_0## and ## p \left ( 0 \right ) = p_0##.

Then I am still missing one extra condition to determine the three coefficients ##c_1##, ##c_2## and ##c_3##.

I am not sure what is the third condition. Maybe there just have to be one free coefficient?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------

I am so sorry. I made a mistake. The coefficient ##c_3## should be deleted. How can I delete this post?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not look at ##\ddot x##?

PeroK said:
Why not look at ##\ddot x##?

Thanks, PeroK. I am sorry I made a mistake.

Haorong Wu said:
First, ##\frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {1} {i \hbar} \left [ x, H \right ] = \frac {p} {m}##.

Similarly, ##\frac {dp} {dt} = \frac {1} {i \hbar} \left [ p, H \right ] = - m \omega ^ 2 x##.

##x\left ( t \right ) = c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t}##, and ##p\left ( t \right ) = I am \omega \left ( - c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t} \right ) + c_3##.
##x\left(t\right)## and ##p\left(t\right)## are operators, but your equations for ##x\left(t\right)## and ##p\left(t\right)## do not seem to reflect this.

George Jones said:
##x\left(t\right)## and ##p\left(t\right)## are operators, but your equations for ##x\left(t\right)## and ##p\left(t\right)## do not seem to reflect this.
Hi, George Jones. I am not sure what properties should ##x \left ( t \right ) ## and ## p \left ( t \right ) ## reflect.

Haorong Wu said:
Hi, George Jones. I am not sure what properties should ##x \left ( t \right ) ## and ## p \left ( t \right ) ## reflect.

For example, in

Haorong Wu said:
##x\left ( t \right ) = c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t}##

how is ##c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t}## an operator?

Likes PeroK
George Jones said:
For example, in
Perhaps in QM there should be a mantra: "you should keep your hat on"! To give @Haorong Wu a hint, what about:
$$\hat x(t) = \hat c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + \hat c_2 e^{i \omega t}$$

Likes George Jones
PeroK said:
Perhaps in QM there should be a mantra: "you should keep your hat on"! To give @Haorong Wu a hint, what about:
$$\hat x(t) = \hat c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + \hat c_2 e^{i \omega t}$$

Yes, we should take Joe Cocker's advice. :wink:

Haorong Wu said:

@Haorong Wu, to find ##\hat{c_3}##, plug your expressions for ##x\left(t\right)## and ##p\left(t\right)## into
$$\frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {p} {m}.$$
Also, to give clearer physical meaning, it probably is better to use ##\left\{\sin\omega t , \cos\omega t \right\}## rather than ##\left\{e^{i\omega t} , e^{-i\omega t} \right\}##.

George Jones said:
Yes, we should take Joe Cocker's advice. :wink:
@Haorong Wu, to find ##\hat{c_3}##, plug your expressions for ##x\left(t\right)## and ##p\left(t\right)## into
$$\frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {p} {m}.$$
Also, to give clearer physical meaning, it probably is better to use ##\left\{\sin\omega t , \cos\omega t \right\}## rather than ##\left\{e^{i\omega t} , e^{-i\omega t} \right\}##.

Given that ##\hat p = m \frac{d\hat x}{dt}##, I'm not sure where ##\hat c_3## would come from?

PeroK said:
Given that ##\hat p = m \frac{d\hat x}{dt}##, I'm not sure where ##\hat c_3## would come from?

Let's wait for @Haorong Wu to have a go at this :smile:, but notice that there are two first-order differential equations, so only two constants (initial conditions) are needed.

Likes PeroK
George Jones said:
For example, in

Thanks, @George Jones , @PeroK . ##c_i## are operators. I am not used to keep hats on operators, and I really do not see the differences. Normally, something having ##x##, ##p##, ##L_i##, or ##S_i## would be operator. It seems unnecessary to keep their hats. But in some confusing cases like this problem, I should put hats on ##c_i##.

And ##c_3## should be crossed out. I pluged ##
x\left ( t \right ) = c_1 e^{-i \omega t} + c_2 e^{i \omega t}
## into ##
\frac {dp} {dt} = - m \omega ^ 2 x
##, and ##c_3## poped out. (Only God knows why I did this instead of the other easier way)

Haorong Wu said:
And ##c_3## should be crossed out.

Good. Now express ##c_1## and ##c_2## in terms of the constant operators ##x\left(0\right)## and ##p\left(0\right)##.

George Jones said:
Good. Now express ##c_1## and ##c_2## in terms of the constant operators ##x\left(0\right)## and ##p\left(0\right)##.
Thanks, @George Jones . The rest part is a piece of cake.

George Jones said:
Since the harmonic oscillator leads to linear operator-valued ODE's for the Heisenberg-picture EoMs, there's formally no difference between oparator and "c-number" valued equations. That's why it's so easy to solve the harmonic oscillator in the Heisenberg picture (as well as the free particle and motion under a constant force).

Going beyond that makes it really difficult!

Likes George Jones

1. How is the Heisenberg picture different from the Schrodinger picture?

In the Schrodinger picture, the state of a system evolves over time while the operators remain constant. In the Heisenberg picture, it is the operators that evolve over time while the state remains constant.

2. What is the Heisenberg equation of motion?

The Heisenberg equation of motion is a fundamental equation in the Heisenberg picture that describes how operators evolve over time. It is given by:

dA/dt = (1/iℏ) [A, H]

where A is the operator, H is the Hamiltonian, and i is the imaginary unit.

3. How do you calculate an operator in the Heisenberg picture?

To calculate an operator in the Heisenberg picture, you can use the Heisenberg equation of motion to determine its time evolution. You will need to know the initial state of the system and the Hamiltonian. You can then use the resulting equation to calculate the operator at any given time.

4. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be applied in the Heisenberg picture?

Yes, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle can be applied in the Heisenberg picture. It states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This principle holds true in both the Schrodinger and Heisenberg pictures.

5. What is the significance of using the Heisenberg picture in quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg picture is useful for studying time-dependent systems in quantum mechanics. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of how operators evolve over time and can simplify calculations in certain cases. It also helps to highlight the fundamental role of operators in quantum mechanics.