How to Calculate Angular Velocity and Acceleration for a Rotating Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 5.0 kg disk rotating on an axle, with questions about its initial angular acceleration and angular velocity at a specific point. The solution involves using the parallel axis theorem and conservation of total energy.
Zhadows

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg, 60-cm diameter disk rotates on an axle passing through one edge. The axle is parallel to the floor. The cylinder is held with the center of mass at the same height as the axle, then released.

a. What is the cylinder's initial angular Acceleration?
b*. What is the cylinder's angular Velocity when it is directly below the axle?

Homework Equations

I=Icm+MD^2

A=T/I

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A: I utilized the Parallel axis theorem because it was rotating off the center of mass.
I=Icm+MD^2->[I of disc] (1/2 (5)(0.3)^2) + 5(.3)^2= 0.675

For the torque: T=R*F->(0.3)(5*9.8)=14.7

14.7/0.675= 21.78 Rad/S^2

Can someone tell me if I did something incorrect? Also:

Part B: I have no idea where to start. This is where I really need help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Conservation of rotational kinetic energy.

Try using the kinematics equations replacing x with (radians), v with (angular velocity) and a with angular acceleration. I will reply if with additional information if you follow up on this.

I think conservation of total energy is the best approach here; the increase in rotational kinetic energy must equal the decrease in gravitational potential energy. A kinematic approach would be more difficult since the angular acceleration is not constant.

Related to How to Calculate Angular Velocity and Acceleration for a Rotating Cylinder?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of the angular displacement of an object. In simpler terms, it is the speed at which an object is rotating or revolving around a specific axis.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a rotational velocity, while linear velocity is a straight-line velocity. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity include the size and shape of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied torque or force.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is change in angular displacement, and Δt is change in time.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is used in various industries such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to measure the speed of rotating objects in machines, calculate the angular speed of planets and satellites, and determine the rotational speed of athletes in sports like figure skating and gymnastics.