How to calculate Apparent Weight of a passenger in a car going over a bump?

In summary, the normal force is the apparent weight. If the top of the hill is like an arc of a circle, the vehicle will become airborne before it reaches the peak. The condition for staying on the surface is that the speed is less than the given answer.
Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
A car traveling on a straight road at 9.0 m/s goes over a hump in the road. The hump may be regarded as an arc of a circle of radius 11.0 m. (a) What is the appar- ent weight of a 600-N woman in the car as she rides over the hump? (b) What must be the speed of the car over the hump if she is to experience weightlessness? (The apparent weight must be zero.)
--------------------
How to calculate Apparent weight and did i analysis is it right?
Would the woman fell less weight on the top of the hump?
Relevant Equations
I used for (a) W-N=(m)(v^2)/r
IMG_20230427_111511_746.jpg
IMG_20230427_111523_819.jpg
r

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the normal force the apparent weight?
So i just calculate it or am i mistaking

Hi, can you post your work? I only see unexplained screen shots with numbers popping up out of the blue....

Likes MatinSAR and Mohmmad Maaitah
(I think you may be doing ok, but the woman will be very angry at being taken for a car:smile:)

Also, there is an underlying assumption about the size of the car...

##\ ##

Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Is the normal force the apparent weight?
Yes, and I agree with your answers.
There is one flaw with the question, though. If the top of the hill is like an arc of a circle then the vehicle is more likely to become airborne before it reaches the peak than when at the peak.

16825858200723557969515154665585.jpg

BvU said:
(I think you may be doing ok, but the woman will be very angry at being taken for a car:smile:)

Also, there is an underlying assumption about the size of the car...

##\ ##
Do you mean i have a mistake in masses?

haruspex said:
There is one flaw with the question, though. If the top of the hill is like an arc of a circle then the vehicle is more likely to become airborne before it reaches the peak than when at the peak.
So the apparent weight = Normal force?
In this problem i mean

Mohmmad Maaitah said:
That's odd… your first answer of 150N was closer.
You should keep more intermediate significant figures than you present as answer, e.g. 61.22, not 61.2.

Likes Mohmmad Maaitah
haruspex said:
The condition for staying on the surface is ##v^2\leq gR\sin\!\theta## where ##\theta## is measured relative to the horizontal. For the given speed of 9.0 m/s, the surface of the bump must rise at initial angle ##\varphi \geq \arcsin (\frac{v^2}{gR}) = 48.7^{\circ}## with the horizontal. At that angle, the (point) car traveling at 9.0 m/s will just barely keep contact with the surface. So if the 9.0 m/s speed is maintained until the car reaches the top, the car will not become airborne. The problem does not give the angle subtended by the arc, so we have to assume that it will be OK.

kuruman said:
The condition for staying on the surface is ##v^2\leq gR\sin\!\theta## where ##\theta## is measured relative to the horizontal. For the given speed of 9.0 m/s, the surface of the bump must rise at initial angle ##\varphi \geq \arcsin (\frac{v^2}{gR}) = 48.7^{\circ}## with the horizontal. At that angle, the (point) car traveling at 9.0 m/s will just barely keep contact with the surface. So if the 9.0 m/s speed is maintained until the car reaches the top, the car will not become airborne. The problem does not give the angle subtended by the arc, so we have to assume that it will be OK.
That works for (a), but, as I should have clarified, my objection is to part (b). For any ##\phi>0##, the required speed will be correspondingly less than the given answer.
(And did you mean initial angle ##\varphi \leq \arcsin (\frac{v^2}{gR}) ## with the horizontal?)

haruspex said:
(And did you mean initial angle ##\varphi \leq \arcsin (\frac{v^2}{gR}) ## with the horizontal?)
Yes I did. I gave a different name to the complementary angle of ##\theta## but forgot to flip the inequality. Thanks.

1. How do you calculate the apparent weight of a passenger in a car going over a bump?

The apparent weight of a passenger in a car going over a bump can be calculated using the formula: Apparent weight = Actual weight + (Acceleration due to gravity x Acceleration of the car)

2. What is the difference between actual weight and apparent weight?

Actual weight is the weight of an object or person as measured by a scale. Apparent weight is the perceived weight of an object or person when they are in motion or experiencing acceleration.

3. How does the speed of the car affect the apparent weight of a passenger?

The speed of the car does not directly affect the apparent weight of a passenger. However, it can indirectly affect it by causing the car to accelerate or decelerate, which in turn affects the apparent weight of the passenger.

4. Is the apparent weight of a passenger in a car always equal to their actual weight?

No, the apparent weight of a passenger in a car can be greater or less than their actual weight depending on the direction and magnitude of the car's acceleration.

5. How does the shape and size of the bump affect the apparent weight of a passenger?

The shape and size of the bump can affect the apparent weight of a passenger by changing the acceleration of the car. A larger or steeper bump will cause a greater change in acceleration, resulting in a greater change in the apparent weight of the passenger.