How to calculate delivered luminosity?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the CMS total delivered luminosity from the Cern Statistics website. The speaker's own calculation resulted in 8.16E+42, but they believe they made a mistake. The conversation also mentions the formula used for the calculation and the factors involved. The speaker is also looking for the reduction factors for delivered luminosity.
Melumi
I found CMS total delivered luminosity from Cern Statistics website (22.98 inverse fb). But i want to calculate myself and using values from website's supertable page. (https://acc-stats.web.cern.ch/acc-stats/#lhc/overview-panel)
But my result is 8.16E+42
Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
On the third line of your calculations, the second plus sign should have been a minus sign. I'm sure that's it even though I have no idea what your calculations were. ;)

vela said:
On the third line of your calculations, the second plus sign should have been a minus sign. I'm sure that's it even though I have no idea what your calculations were. ;)

L= (n_b*f*N_1*N_2) / 4*pi*sigma_x*sigma_y*sqrt(1+(thetha*sigma_z/2*sigma_x)^2)
n_b: number of colliding pairs for CMS on supertable (01.01.2012 - 31.12.2012)
f: stable beam duration on supertable (01.01.2012 - 31.12.2012)

L= (my calculation on excel) = 1,58E+42
But i must found 23^fb-1 (01.01.2012 - 31.12.2012)

What is reduction factors for delivered luminosity?

1. How is delivered luminosity measured?

Delivered luminosity is typically measured using a device called a luminometer, which detects and measures the amount of light emitted by a source.

2. What is the formula for calculating delivered luminosity?

The formula for calculating delivered luminosity is: L = E/t, where L is luminosity, E is energy, and t is time.

3. What units are used for measuring delivered luminosity?

Delivered luminosity is typically measured in units of watts (W), which represent the amount of energy delivered per unit time.

4. How does the beam energy affect delivered luminosity?

The beam energy plays a critical role in determining the delivered luminosity. Higher beam energy typically results in higher luminosity, as more energy is delivered in a given amount of time.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of delivered luminosity calculations?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of delivered luminosity calculations, including measurement errors, beam instabilities, and variations in beam intensity over time.