How to calculate how fast it would take to charge/discharge a battery

• Thread starter w2010w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a 30 amp charger and a DC to AC power inverter simultaneously to create a more cost-effective solution for power outages. The main concern is the charging time for the car batteries and how long they can deliver 700 watts. There is a caution to be careful with battery recharging as it can lead to overheating and potential damage to the batteries. The goal is to have enough batteries to provide 700 watts for 4 hours and then recharge within 2 hours. Specific tips and recommendations for setting up this apparatus are also requested.
w2010w
I was wondering if it was possible to use, simultaneously, a 30 amp (or higher) charger on a car battery and a DC to AC (say, 700 watts) power inverter.

Where I live we have 8 to 10 hours of power outages in 2 hour intervals during the day. Instead of wasting money on expensive office UPSes, I was wondering if I could make something a bit more sturdy using cheaper car batteries.

What I wanted to know is, how fast would a 30 amp charger take to charge a car battery? And how long could a car battery deliver 700 watts? I'm a complete n00b here so if someone could point out the specific formula/equation to use to calculate this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Ideally I would like enough batteries (I could just hook up a bunch of them up in parallel?) to deliver 700 watts for 4 hours, that would then recharge within 2 hours (when the power's back on).

Lastly, does anyone have tips for actually setting up this kind of apparatus? Specific parts/companies?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like what you really want to build is an inverter.

I can't answer your question but I do caution you to exercise care in designing battery recharging devices because if you recharge too quickly (on some batteries at least) you may get a charge a few times but will quickly destroy the battery due to overheating then you will have lots of acid-filled door-stops on your hands (and that's assuming they don't explode --- I'm not positive they do that but it wouldn't surprise me)

1. How do I calculate the charging/discharging time for a battery?

To calculate the charging/discharging time for a battery, you will need to know the battery's capacity (in ampere-hours), the charging/discharging current (in amperes), and the efficiency of the charging/discharging process. Then, you can use the formula: time = (battery capacity x 60) / (charging/discharging current x efficiency).

2. What does the efficiency of the charging/discharging process refer to?

The efficiency of the charging/discharging process refers to the amount of energy that is actually stored in the battery compared to the amount of energy that is supplied to it. This value is typically expressed as a percentage and can be affected by factors such as temperature, battery age, and type of charger.

3. How do I determine the charging/discharging current for my battery?

The recommended charging/discharging current for a battery can usually be found on the battery's label or in the manufacturer's specifications. It is important to follow these recommendations to avoid damaging the battery or causing it to overheat.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the charging and discharging time?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate both the charging and discharging time for a battery. However, keep in mind that the efficiency of the discharging process may be lower than the efficiency of the charging process, resulting in a longer discharging time.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the charging/discharging time of a battery?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the charging/discharging time of a battery, such as the type and condition of the battery, the charging/discharging method (constant current or constant voltage), and the state of charge of the battery before the process begins. It is important to consider all of these factors when estimating the charging/discharging time for a battery.