How to calculate magnetic pole strength?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an equation to calculate the force between two magnets, specifically using the dipole-dipole interaction equation. However, finding the necessary parameters for this equation, such as the magnetic pole strength, is difficult and often requires empirical determination. Additionally, the complexity of the magnets and their interactions makes it impractical to solve for these values by hand, leading to the use of experiments or computer simulations instead.
abdo799
I have 2 magnets , i need to know the force between them , I searched a lot , conclusion was : we need to use a dipole-dipole interaction equation , which included m, which the magnetic dipole , i searched how to calculate it , and this is what i found . m=pl where p is magnetic pole strength and l is length of the magnet . I searched a lot on how to calculate p and found nothing.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's determined empirically.

Simon Bridge said:
It's determined empirically.
It's so weird that no one tried to solve this , even the equation of the dipole-dipole interaction didn't exist before 1998

Not really - we know, in principle, how to go about it ... it's just that there are too many variables for the solution to be practical.

The dipole strengths depend on all the magnetic domains inside the magnet - which depends on the geometry of the magnet, the material it is made out of, and how it was made. Do you know all those things about your magnets - at nanometer scales? Much easier just to measure it.

Note: the "effective dipole" approach is only an approximation.

Likes 1 person
abdo799 said:
It's so weird that no one tried to solve this , even the equation of the dipole-dipole interaction didn't exist before 1998

You'll find that a lot of "real world" physics problems are just too complicated to be worth solving by hand. We have to solve them either by experiment or using a computer simulation.

1. How do you calculate magnetic pole strength?

The magnetic pole strength can be calculated by dividing the magnetic moment of the magnet by the distance between the poles.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic pole strength?

The unit of measurement for magnetic pole strength is Ampere-meter (A-m).

3. Can magnetic pole strength be negative?

Yes, magnetic pole strength can be negative if the poles are of opposite polarity.

4. How does the shape of a magnet affect its pole strength?

The shape of a magnet does not directly affect its pole strength. However, the orientation and arrangement of the poles can impact the magnetic field and thus, the pole strength.

5. Can the strength of a magnet's poles change over time?

Yes, the strength of a magnet's poles can change over time due to factors such as temperature, external magnetic fields, and physical damage.