How to calculate pressure inside an internal combustion cannon

In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with their Year 12 physics assignment in Australia, specifically in calculating the pressure inside a spud gun or lemon cannon chamber without a pressure gauge. The student will be measuring the muzzle velocity using a high-speed camera, but is unsure of how to calculate the pressure. Suggestions include using the gas laws and measuring the recoil acceleration or using a fast force sensor.
Spartan-1801
Hi. I am needing help on this...

For a Year 12 physics assignment (australia), I am testing a Spud gun/lemon cannon. I need to work out the pressure inside the chamber just before the projectile begins to move, without using a pressure gauge. Tomorrow i'll be measuring the muzzle velocity using a high speed camera, but i have absolutely no idea on the pressure calculations. My physics teacher won't tell me either, not sure wether its because he doesn't know or not, but he keeps telling me to look online and i can't find anything comprehensive.

Please help, it would be much appreciated

Also, i apologize for posting this in the wrong forum... only just realized

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could explain what your particular setup looks like and how it operates.

Fundamentally, when you burn some gas mixture in a closed chamber, it produces more gas and some heat. The heat increases the temperature of the gas, and with the chamber volume known, you should be able to estimate the pressure using the gas laws.

Use a well lubricated projectile to minimize the friction in the barrel. Assuming negligible friction the only horizontal force on the gun is the pressure on the back wall of the barrel. If you have a high speed cam you could hang the gun on strings, and measure the initial recoil acceleration. From the acceleration and the mass of the gun (without projectile) you get that force. Or use a fast force sensor if possible.

Divide the force by the cross sectional area to get to pressure.

Last edited:

1. How is pressure calculated inside an internal combustion cannon?

The pressure inside an internal combustion cannon can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure (P) is equal to the number of moles (n) of gas multiplied by the gas constant (R) and the temperature (T), divided by the volume (V):
P = (nRT)/V

2. What factors affect the pressure inside an internal combustion cannon?

The pressure inside an internal combustion cannon is affected by several factors, including the amount of fuel and air mixture, the volume of the combustion chamber, the temperature of the gases, and the size and shape of the cannon's barrel.

3. How can I measure the pressure inside an internal combustion cannon?

The pressure inside an internal combustion cannon can be measured using a pressure gauge or a pressure sensor. These devices can be placed at various points within the cannon to measure the pressure during the combustion process.

4. What is the ideal pressure for an internal combustion cannon?

The ideal pressure for an internal combustion cannon depends on the purpose of the cannon and the materials used. Generally, a pressure between 500 and 1000 psi is considered safe for cannons made of steel, while cannons made of weaker materials may require lower pressures.

5. How can I adjust the pressure inside an internal combustion cannon?

The pressure inside an internal combustion cannon can be adjusted by changing the amount of fuel and air mixture, altering the volume of the combustion chamber, or adjusting the size of the cannon's barrel. It is important to carefully monitor and test pressure adjustments to ensure safe and efficient operation of the cannon.