How to calculate residium at infinity?

• Thread starter nhrock3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the residue of a function at infinity using the formula res(f(x),a)=\lim_{x->a}(f(x)(x-a)). It also mentions that the residue at infinity is defined as the residue at zero of -1/z^2 f(1/z).
nhrock3
i have such a function
[tex]
z^3 \sin \frac{1}{3}
[/tex]

i need to calculate its residium at z=infinity

if i substitue infinity instead of a"" into the formal formula
[tex]res(f(x),a)=\lim_{x->a}(f(x)(x-a))[/tex]

i get infinity
am i correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider first a pole at some point z = p. You know that 2 pi i times the residue there is the value of the contour integral that encirles that pole anti-clockwise and no other poles. If you then perform the conformal transform u = 1/z in that contour integral, you get the contour integral of:

-1/u^2 f(1/u)

which encircles the corresponding pole in the u-plane at u = 1/p. Note that the contour integral is traversed anti-clockwise if the contour does not encircle the origin. So, the residue at z = p of f(z) is the same as the residue of -1/u^2 f(1/u) at u = 1/p. The residue at infinity is defined such that this result holds in the limit p to infinity. So, it defined as the residue at zero of -1/z^2 f(1/z).

Related to How to calculate residium at infinity?

1. How do you define residuum at infinity?

Residuum at infinity is a mathematical concept that refers to the value of a function at infinity, or the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches infinity.

2. What is the formula for calculating residuum at infinity?

The formula for calculating residuum at infinity involves taking the limit of the function as the independent variable approaches infinity. It can be written as:
Residuum at infinity = lim[f(x)] as x → ∞

3. How is residuum at infinity related to the concept of limits?

Residuum at infinity is closely related to the concept of limits, as it involves taking the limit of a function. In fact, the residuum at infinity can be thought of as a special type of limit, where the independent variable approaches infinity.

4. Can residuum at infinity be calculated for all types of functions?

Yes, residuum at infinity can be calculated for all types of functions, including polynomial, rational, and exponential functions. However, the calculation may be more complex for some functions compared to others.

5. What is the significance of calculating residuum at infinity?

Calculating residuum at infinity can provide important information about the behavior of a function at extremely large values of the independent variable. It can also help in determining the convergence or divergence of a function as the independent variable approaches infinity.