How to calculate the circulation flow in makeup water

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the make up water capacity of a cooling tower using the equation M = E + B + W, but the speaker is unsure about the circulation flow rate needed for the calculation. They have searched the internet and found the figure 18000, but are unsure if it is a constant or something that can be calculated. They also mention not knowing the units for the figure.
Vicky057
Actually i have to calculate the make up water capacity of cooling tower . M= E+B+W . but while calculating the particulars , i am needing the circulation flow rate . i searched it in internet also but it simply showing 18000 so getting confused . Is it 18000 a constant or anything there to calculate .

If anybody have the answer , please give the answer .

Engineering news on Phys.org
The internet's a big place. Perhaps if you shared the link where you found the figure 18000, some help will come your way to explain what it means. :smile:

Yeah, the internet sometimes just gives you strange numbers. When I search "what is the answer to life, the universe and everything?" it just gives me "42". Now, what's that supposed to mean? I'm also wondering if it is a constant or something that can be calculated. It also didn't show me the units.

Likes russ_watters

1. How do you calculate the circulation flow in makeup water?

The circulation flow in makeup water can be calculated by using the following formula:

Circulation Flow = Makeup Water Flow Rate / (1 - Concentration Ratio)

2. What is the concentration ratio and how does it affect the circulation flow?

The concentration ratio is the ratio of makeup water flow rate to the total flow rate in the system. It is typically expressed as a decimal between 0 and 1. The higher the concentration ratio, the lower the circulation flow will be.

3. What is the makeup water flow rate and how can it be measured?

The makeup water flow rate is the rate at which water is added to the system to make up for any losses or leaks. It can be measured using a flow meter or by calculating the difference in water levels in a tank over a period of time.

4. What factors can affect the circulation flow in makeup water?

The circulation flow in makeup water can be affected by several factors, including the concentration ratio, makeup water flow rate, system volume, and water pressure. Changes in any of these factors can impact the overall circulation flow in the system.

5. How often should the circulation flow in makeup water be calculated?

The circulation flow in makeup water should be calculated regularly, especially if there are any changes in the system or if there are concerns about water losses or leaks. It is important to monitor and adjust the circulation flow to maintain proper water balance and prevent any potential issues.