How to calculate the efficiency of a switch mode power supply?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating power output and input using multimeters and the formula P=VI. However, due to the significantly smaller P_out compared to P_in, the efficiency is low. The participants suggest using a schematic and a circuit diagram to better understand and improve the efficiency. They also mention the difficulty of calculating the efficiency of sine wave rectifiers and suggest simulating them. Finally, they refer to a helpful treatment in the appendix of an old National Semiconductor application notes.
Maniac_XOX
Homework Statement
I have designed a non isolated circuit meant to input a high voltage with AC, then filter the AC to DC with an inductor, a capacitor and a full wave rectifier.
Then it has to step down the high voltage through a transformer. The circuit has an R-L-C on its input side. It works and fits its purpose but i have to measure its efficiency.
Relevant Equations
P=VI
P= Vrms / Z
I know how to calculate the power output and input by analyzing the current in put and output with multimeters and using the formula P=VI. But P_out is obviously incomparably smaller than P_in so the efficiency would suck this way. Is there a better way to do this??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we'll need a schematic. Your description doesn't make sense to me. You rectify and filter HV AC to make DC and then you step it down with a transformer. I must not understand, or, alternatively, your efficiency is 0.

Likes phinds
And to add to what @DaveE said, you would get zero output from a transformer that has high voltage DC in, which is what you have described, which is why your efficiency would be zero. I agree we need a circuit. You should ALWAYS show a circuit diagram when asking about a circuit.

BTW, the efficiency of sine wave rectifiers is quite difficult to calculate. What people actually do is simulate them. It's very non-linear in the regions where they work well. Even the simulation isn't that easy since you will need good component models, more complicated (or accurate for your parts) than the ones you get in the free libraries.

There's a nice treatment in the appendix this ancient National Semiconductor Audio/Radio Application Notes

DaveE said:
I think we'll need a schematic. Your description doesn't make sense to me. You rectify and filter HV AC to make DC and then you step it down with a transformer. I must not understand, or, alternatively, your efficiency is 0.
I'm not sure I can upload a picture of the schematic, if so how do I do that?

1. How do I calculate the efficiency of a switch mode power supply?

To calculate the efficiency of a switch mode power supply, you need to divide the output power by the input power and multiply by 100 to get a percentage. The output power can be measured by multiplying the output voltage by the output current, while the input power can be measured by multiplying the input voltage by the input current.

2. What is the formula for calculating the efficiency of a switch mode power supply?

The formula for calculating the efficiency of a switch mode power supply is: Efficiency = (Output Power / Input Power) x 100%. This formula takes into account the power losses in the system and provides a percentage value for the efficiency of the power supply.

3. How do I measure the output power of a switch mode power supply?

The output power of a switch mode power supply can be measured by multiplying the output voltage by the output current. This can be done using a multimeter or a power analyzer. It is important to ensure that the load on the power supply is consistent during the measurement.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of a switch mode power supply?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of a switch mode power supply, including the design and quality of components used, the operating temperature, and the load on the power supply. High quality components and proper thermal management can help improve the efficiency of the power supply.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of a switch mode power supply?

To improve the efficiency of a switch mode power supply, you can use high quality components, ensure proper thermal management, and design the power supply for the specific load requirements. You can also use techniques such as synchronous rectification and soft switching to reduce power losses and improve efficiency.