How to calculate the intensity of light, given area and mass

In summary, the conversation discusses how to support a sheet of fireproof paper horizontally using only a vertical upward beam of light. The paper measures 20.8 cm by 28.8 cm and has a mass of 1.70 g. The question asks what must be the intensity of the light beam if the paper is black and absorbs all the light that hits it. The equations used are I=P/A and A=w*h, and it is mentioned that each photon can have momentum and energy.
Michael Moynihan

Homework Statement

You want to support a sheet of fireproof paper horizontally, using only a vertical upward beam of light spread uniformly over the sheet. There is no other light on this paper. The sheet measures 20.8 cm by 28.8 cm and has a mass of 1.70 g .
(a) If the paper is black and hence absorbs all the light that hits it, what must be the intensity of the light beam?[/B]

Homework Equations

I=P/A
A=w*h

The Attempt at a Solution

A=0.0599m^2
I do not know power, so I do not know the intensity. What information does saying that the paper absorbs all the light that hits it actually give me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Each photon can have momentum, as well as having energy. I'm on my phone, but you can search for momentum photons to get related information.

Likes Michael Moynihan
Michael Moynihan said:
What information does saying that the paper absorbs all the light that hits it actually give me?
It affects the momentum conservation equation.

Likes scottdave and Michael Moynihan
Thanks guys! Got it!

1. What is the formula for calculating the intensity of light?

The formula for calculating the intensity of light is I = P/A, where I is the intensity, P is the power, and A is the area.

2. How do I determine the power of the light source?

The power of the light source can be determined by using a power meter or by consulting the manufacturer's specifications for the light source.

3. Can I use any unit for area and mass in the intensity calculation?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent. For example, if the area is measured in square meters, the mass should be measured in kilograms.

4. How does distance affect the intensity of light?

The intensity of light decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is because the same amount of light is spread out over a larger area.

5. Is there a way to increase the intensity of light without changing the area or mass?

Yes, the intensity of light can be increased by using a more powerful light source or by using reflective surfaces to focus the light in a smaller area.