How to calculate the speed of this umbrella extension arm?

In summary, calculating the speed of an umbrella extension arm involves determining the distance the arm extends and the time it takes to reach that distance. This can be done by measuring the length of the arm and recording the time it takes for it to fully extend. The speed can then be calculated by dividing the distance by the time. Additionally, the weight and angle of the arm may also affect the speed and should be taken into consideration.
Throwtex
TL;DR Summary: Have a university project where we are calculating the speed of the arm at the end.

I need some help on where to start on the calculations. We have tried to determine instantaneous center of rotation for the device. We want to find the linear velocioty of point B. There is a velocity in point A, working vertically. Alle sizes are unknown.

Attachments

• Umbrella.png
    Umbrella.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
Throwtex said:
TL;DR Summary: Have a university project where we are calculating the speed of the arm at the end.

I need some help on where to start on the calculations. We have tried to determine instantaneous center of rotation for the device.
Given that amount of totally non-specific information, the answer is "probably".

phinds said:
Given that amount of totally non-specific information, the answer is "probably".
Sorry, updated the posted with more information.

Throwtex said:
Sorry, updated the posted with more information.
I still see exactly what you originally posted. Are you trolling us?

phinds said:
I still see exactly what you originally posted. Are you trolling us?
No. I attached a pricture of a drawing of the system as well?

How did you "try to" determine the IC at the instant shown if all dimensions are unknown?

Throwtex said:
No. I attached a pricture of a drawing of the system as well?
OK, I see it now.
Throwtex said:

We have tried to determine instantaneous center of rotation for the device. We want to find the linear velocioty of point B
I get that you want the upwards (sort of) velocity of point B but what's this about finding the instantaneous center of rotation? Do you mean the center of rotation for point B? Are you trying to find both?At any rate, you'll need to use some geometry/trig/algebra to get an equation for the motion of B relative to V. That will should give you the motion vector for point B. I can't tell for sure by just looking but some calculus may be required as well.

phinds said:
OK, I see it now.

I get that you want the upwards (sort of) velocity of point B but what's this about finding the instantaneous center of rotation? Do you mean the center of rotation for point B? Are you trying to find both?At any rate, you'll need to use some geometry/trig/algebra to get an equation for the motion of B relative to V. That will should give you the motion vector for point B. I can't tell for sure by just looking but some calculus may be required as well.
We did try to do it with trig and calculus, but that gave us the wrong answear. We wrote the formulas in Python and plotted them and compared to actuall paths on Solidworks. The tutor said we should find all 6 instantaneous center of rotation and try using them.

Throwtex said:

I need some help on where to start on the calculations. We have tried to determine instantaneous center of rotation for the device. We want to find the linear velocity of point B. There is a velocity in point A, working vertically. Alle sizes are unknown.
Welcome @Throwtex !

For a constant velocity of slider A, the linear and rotational velocities of point B will change at each instant.
Which one you have been asked to calculate?
With respect to point E or to the ground?

Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkage_(mechanical)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_centre_of_rotation

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~pen/ame352/Notes PDF/5.3 Velocity-graphical.pdf

If FD and GE distances are equal, movement of point B should be a magnification of the movement of point D.

1. How do I measure the distance traveled by the umbrella extension arm?

To calculate the speed of the umbrella extension arm, you will need to measure the distance it travels. This can be done by using a measuring tape or ruler to measure the length of the arm from its starting position to its end position.

2. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance/time. In this case, the distance would be the length of the umbrella extension arm and the time would be the duration it took for the arm to extend.

3. How do I determine the time it takes for the umbrella extension arm to extend?

The time it takes for the umbrella extension arm to extend can be determined by using a stopwatch or timer. Start the timer when the arm begins to extend and stop it when it reaches its full extension.

4. Can I use the speed of the umbrella extension arm to calculate its acceleration?

Yes, you can use the speed of the umbrella extension arm to calculate its acceleration. The formula for acceleration is acceleration = change in velocity/time. In this case, the change in velocity would be the speed of the arm and the time would be the duration it took for the arm to extend.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the speed of the umbrella extension arm?

Yes, there are several other factors that may affect the speed of the umbrella extension arm. These include the weight and design of the arm, the force used to extend it, and any external forces such as wind or friction. It is important to take these factors into consideration when calculating the speed of the arm.