How to caluculate the pressure immediately downstream of a sudden expansion

In summary, the pressure right downstream the sudden expansion can be found using the energy balance equation.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
Finding a pressure right downstream a sudden expansion ( the picture of the exercice is joined to the solution attempt)
Relevant Equations
Energy balance equation
Good day All
Here is the first ligne of the exercice that might not be visible
As shown in figure , water (kinematic viscosity of water v=1E-6 m2s-1)flows out of a reservoir with a sharp entrance at A.

My questions is how to compute the pressure pn right down stream the sudden expansion
IMG-20200206-WA0001 (1).jpg

My attempt:
after calculating the velocity V1 in the first pipline we know that
H pipe1 right down stream=Total energy H1 (of the first reservoir)-minor losses
H pipe2 right down stream =H pipe1-minor losses -distributed losses ((easy to calulate))

But still i have no idea how to find the pressure?
Many thanks in advance!
best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: Finding a pressure right downstream a sudden expansion ( the picture of the exercice is joined to the solution attempt)
Relevant Equations:: Energy balance equation

Good day All
Here is the first ligne of the exercice that might not be visible
As shown in figure , water (kinematic viscosity of water v=1E-6 m2s-1)flows out of a reservoir with a sharp entrance at A.

My questions is how to compute the pressure pn right down stream the sudden expansionView attachment 260039

My attempt:
after calculating the velocity V1 in the first pipline we know that
H pipe1 right down stream=Total energy H1 (of the first reservoir)-minor losses
H pipe2 right down stream =H pipe1-minor losses -distributed losses ((easy to calulate))

But still i have no idea how to find the pressure?
Many thanks in advance!
best regards
As a first approximation, why not just use the Bernoulli equation?

Thanks a lot but we have frictions so we can only use energy balance but still let's consider that we can do it how are you going to handle it?

Amaelle said:
Thanks a lot but we have frictions so we can only use energy balance but still let's consider that we can do it how are you going to handle it?
Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, and other texts have analytic expressions for friction coefficients to use in flow geometries like this.

Likes Lnewqban
thanks a lot!

1. What is the equation for calculating pressure downstream of a sudden expansion?

The equation for calculating pressure downstream of a sudden expansion is the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total pressure at a point is equal to the sum of the static pressure, dynamic pressure, and potential energy at that point.

2. How do I determine the static pressure downstream of a sudden expansion?

The static pressure downstream of a sudden expansion can be determined by using the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate before and after the expansion must be equal. By knowing the mass flow rate and the cross-sectional area of the pipe, the static pressure can be calculated.

3. What is the significance of the dynamic pressure in calculating downstream pressure?

The dynamic pressure is a measure of the kinetic energy of the fluid and is an important factor in calculating downstream pressure. As the fluid flows through the sudden expansion, its velocity changes, resulting in a change in dynamic pressure. This change in dynamic pressure contributes to the overall pressure downstream.

4. How does the potential energy affect the downstream pressure in a sudden expansion?

The potential energy, also known as the elevation head, is another component of the Bernoulli's equation. It takes into account the change in height of the fluid as it flows through the sudden expansion. This change in potential energy also contributes to the overall pressure downstream.

5. Can I use the same equation to calculate downstream pressure for different types of fluids?

Yes, the Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate downstream pressure for different types of fluids, as long as the fluid is incompressible and there are no significant changes in temperature. However, the equation may need to be modified for compressible fluids or when there are changes in temperature.