Steady state flow: series pipeline

In summary, the problem involves water being discharged from a reservoir through a pipe that is 700m long. The pipe is initially 100mm in diameter for the first 100m and then suddenly changes to 150mm in diameter for the remaining 600m. The pipe ends with a nozzle that discharges a jet 25mm in diameter at a point 15m below the reservoir surface. The head loss in the nozzle is given by h(ln) = (0.063*vj^2)/(2*g) where vj is the jet velocity. Using the Bernoulli equation, and assuming a sharp-edged entry to the pipe (K = 0.5) and lambda = 0.02, the discharge
lleepptt

Homework Statement

Water is discharged from a reservoir through a pipe 700m long. For the first 100m of its length the pipe is 100mm in diameter and then suddenly enlarged to 150mm diameter for the remaining 600m. The pipe terminates in a nozzle which discharges a jet 25mm in diameter at a point 15m below the reservoir surface. Head loss in the nozzle is h(ln)= (0.063*vj^2)/(2*g) where vj is the jet velocity. Assuming lamda=0.02 and a sharp-edged entry to the pipe (K = 0.5), determine the discharge. [ans. 7.67 l/s]

Homework Equations

bernoulli equation: p1/2g + u1^2/2g + z1 = p2/2g + u2^2/2g + z2 + hln + hp
where hln=K*u^2/2g
and hp=lamda*L*u^2/2*g*D

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been working at this for about five hours now; I honestly have no clue what I am supposed to do now. I think I am supposed to use the bernoulli equation to find "vj" by having the left hand side for the pressure/velocity/z for the reservoir and the right hand side for the nozzle. But when negate the pressure (as they are both open to the atmosphere and thus cancel out?), negate the velocity of the reservoir as I assume it's close to zero, and negate z for the nozzle as I pass the datum line that z is measured from along the centre of the pipe, I never get the right answer for vj when I rearrange the equation. I worked out using the answer for Q (discharge) that is given that vj=15.625m/s as Q=vA. But from here I don’t know where to go, I can't the right answer no matter what I do. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must determine the loss, hp, at each segment and relate it to the nozzle exit velocity. Since the flow is incompressible, you know the velocity in the two sections in terms of the nozzle exit velocity. Therefore apply the hp terms as follows. Answer is correct.

hp1 = (lambda*L1*/(2*g*D1)) * (Vnozzle*A1/Anozzle)*(Vnozzle*A1/Anozzle)
hp2 = (lambda*L2*/(2*g*D2)) * (Vnozzle*A2/Anozzle)*(Vnozzle*A2/Anozzle)

1. What is steady state flow in a series pipeline?

Steady state flow in a series pipeline refers to the flow of a fluid or gas through a series of interconnected pipes at a constant rate. This means that the flow rate and pressure of the fluid remains constant throughout the entire pipeline.

2. How is steady state flow achieved in a series pipeline?

Steady state flow is achieved by ensuring that the flow rate and pressure at each point in the pipeline are balanced. This can be achieved by using pumps or compressors to maintain a constant flow rate, and by properly sizing and designing the pipeline to minimize friction and pressure losses.

3. What factors affect steady state flow in a series pipeline?

The main factors that affect steady state flow in a series pipeline include the diameter and length of the pipeline, the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), and the flow rate and pressure at the inlet of the pipeline.

4. How is steady state flow different from transient flow in a series pipeline?

Steady state flow is characterized by a constant flow rate and pressure, whereas transient flow refers to the changes in flow rate and pressure that occur due to factors such as changes in flow direction, pump or valve operations, or changes in fluid properties. Transient flow typically occurs during start-up, shut-down, or changes in operating conditions in a series pipeline.

5. What are the applications of steady state flow in a series pipeline?

Steady state flow is commonly used in various industries, such as oil and gas, water supply, and chemical processing. It is particularly useful for transporting fluids or gases over long distances, as it ensures a consistent and predictable flow rate and pressure, which is important for maintaining the efficiency and reliability of the pipeline system.