How to care about only one particle in a two-particle system

In summary, the discussion focused on finding the probability of finding a particle at a position x in a 1D infinite well with symmetric and antisymmetric states. The states were given as \psi_{symmetric} = \frac{2}{L} [sin[\frac{\pi x_1}{L}]sin[\frac{2\pi x_2}{L}] + sin[\frac{2\pi x_1}{L}]sin[\frac{\pi x_2}{L}]] and \psi_{antisymmetric} = \frac{2}{L} [sin[\frac{\pi x_1}{L}]sin[\frac{2\pi x_2}{L}] - sin[\frac{2\
snatchingthepi
Homework Statement
Consider the symmetry and antisymmetric two-particle wave functions for a one-dimensional box with impenetrable walls at x = +- L/2. One particle occupies the ground state, and the other occupies the first excited state.

What is the probability to find a particle at position x for either case if we do not care about the position of the second particle.
Relevant Equations
See below
So for the 1D infinite well with the states above, I have

## \psi_{symmetric} = \frac{2}{L} [sin[\frac{\pi x_1}{L}]sin[\frac{2\pi x_2}{L}] + sin[\frac{2\pi x_1}{L}]sin[\frac{\pi x_2}{L}]] ##
## \psi_{antisymmetric} = \frac{2}{L} [sin[\frac{\pi x_1}{L}]sin[\frac{2\pi x_2}{L}] - sin[\frac{2\pi x_1}{L}]sin[\frac{\pi x_2}{L}]]##

The question statement says to find the probability of finding a particle at a position ##x## for both cases if we "do not care about the position of the second particle". How do I do that? I thinking I might be able to simply integrate over the whole range for one particle, and then integrate from one edge of the well to the position x for the other? But I've never done anything like this and do not know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you are on the right path. You don't actually need to do the integrals because you know the single particle states are orthonormal (the integrals either 0 or 1). So write it out carefully and see if it makes sense. This is a useful exercise.

Note that in this problem the well extends from x = -L/2 to x = L/2. In this case, the ground state is not of the form sin(πx/L).

I *just* saw that! Thank you. I have now have legitimate answers that preserve normalization when I integrate over everything. Thank you!

1. How do I isolate one particle from a two-particle system?

To isolate one particle from a two-particle system, you will need to use a technique called single-particle tracking. This involves labeling one of the particles with a fluorescent marker and using a microscope to track its movement while the other particle remains unmarked. This allows you to focus on the behavior of the single particle while ignoring the other one.

2. What are the challenges in caring for only one particle in a two-particle system?

The main challenge in caring for only one particle in a two-particle system is keeping track of the particle you are interested in while ignoring the other one. This requires precise labeling and tracking techniques, as well as advanced data analysis methods to filter out the effects of the other particle.

3. Can I use mathematical models to care for only one particle in a two-particle system?

Yes, mathematical models can be used to simulate the behavior of a single particle in a two-particle system. This allows researchers to study the effects of different parameters on the movement and interactions of the particle without having to physically isolate it.

4. How does the behavior of a single particle differ from that of a two-particle system?

The behavior of a single particle in a two-particle system can differ significantly from that of a two-particle system. This is because the presence of the other particle can affect the movement, interactions, and overall behavior of the single particle. By isolating the single particle, researchers can gain a better understanding of its individual behavior and how it may be influenced by the other particle.

5. What are the potential applications of studying a single particle in a two-particle system?

Studying a single particle in a two-particle system has many potential applications, particularly in the fields of biophysics and nanotechnology. By understanding the behavior of individual particles, researchers can gain insights into larger systems and develop new technologies and materials with specific properties and functions.