Symmeterization of Boson Spins

• Thread starter rmiller70015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boson
In summary: I'm not sure if the problem asks for a general formula in terms of S, but I will double check. Thanks for your help!In summary, the question asks about the degeneracies of three identical bosons in an infinite square well. The symmetrization postulate states that there is only 1 unique ket in the subspace ##Sym^{N}V##, and if the spin is not specified, there can be multiple symmetric spin configurations. The operators S and A project kets into symmetric and antisymmetric subspaces. The ground state wave function for a symmetric spin configuration is given by $$C(\frac{2}{a})^{\frac{3}{2}}sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{
rmiller70015
Homework Statement
Three identical bosons are in an infinite square well of length a. Find the ground state, first and second exited states, their energies, and the degeneracies.
Relevant Equations
$$S = \frac{1}{N!}\Sigma _{\alpha}P_{\alpha}$$
$$A = \frac{1}{N!}\Sigma _{\alpha} \epsilon _{\alpha} P_{\alpha}$$
My question is really about the degeneracies. I know that the symmetrization postulate says that there is only 1 unique ket in the subspace ##Sym^{N}V##, but does this mean that if I know one unique spin configuration that is symmetric, say ##|33>## then is it correct to say the ground state wave function is $$C(\frac{2}{a})^{\frac{3}{2}}sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{a})sin(\frac{\pi x_2}{a})sin(\frac{\pi x_3}{a})|33>$$, where C is a scaling constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:
Homework Statement:: Three identical bosons are in an infinite square well of length a. Find the ground state, first and second exited states, their energies, and the degeneracies.
Relevant Equations:: $$S = \frac{1}{N!}\Sigma _{\alpha}P_{\alpha}$$

My question is really about the degeneracies. I know that the symmetrization postulate says that there is only 1 unique ket in the subspace ##Sym^{N}V##, but does this mean that if I know one unique spin configuration that is symmetric, say ##|33>## then is it correct to say the ground state wave function is $$C(\frac{2}{a})^{\frac{3}{2}}sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{a})sin(\frac{\pi x_2}{a})sin(\frac{\pi x_3}{a})|33>$$, where C is a scaling constant.
I am not sure what your S and A stand for here.
You wrote the correct spatial wavefunction. I am not sure what your ket ## |33 \rangle ## stand for either.
You said that they are bosons, but their spin is not specified? If not, then, how many different spin states can you have in the ground state?

kdv said:
I am not sure what your S and A stand for here.
You wrote the correct spatial wavefunction. I am not sure what your ket ## |33 \rangle ## stand for either.
You said that they are bosons, but their spin is not specified? If not, then, how many different spin states can you have in the ground state?
S and A are the operators that project a ket from ##V^{\otimes 3}## into the subspaces of symmetric (##Sym^NV##) and antisymmetric (##Anti^NV##) configurations by way of the permutation operators. I wrote ##|33>## because it's the simplest bosonic spin configuration I could think of that would be symmetric, ##|SM> = |s_1 m_1 s_2 m_2 s_3 m_3>## so ##|33> = |111111>##.

As far as how many spin configurations you can have in the ground state, that would be the dimension of ##Sym^NV##, which is the number of symmetric spin configurations for the three bosons. Since the spatial wave function is symmetric under the exchange of particles, the spin part of the wave function also needs to be symmetric. I think if I am understanding correctly, that all but one of them are degenerate states.

rmiller70015 said:
Homework Statement:: Three identical bosons are in an infinite square well of length a. Find the ground state, first and second exited states, their energies, and the degeneracies.
Relevant Equations:: $$S = \frac{1}{N!}\Sigma _{\alpha}P_{\alpha}$$

rmiller70015 said:
S and A are the operators that project a ket from ##V^{\otimes 3}## into the subspaces of symmetric (##Sym^NV##) and antisymmetric (##Anti^NV##) configurations by way of the permutation operators. I wrote ##|33>## because it's the simplest bosonic spin configuration I could think of that would be symmetric, ##|SM> = |s_1 m_1 s_2 m_2 s_3 m_3>## so ##|33> = |111111>##.

As far as how many spin configurations you can have in the ground state, that would be the dimension of ##Sym^NV##, which is the number of symmetric spin configurations for the three bosons. Since the spatial wave function is symmetric under the exchange of particles, the spin part of the wave function also needs to be symmetric. I think if I am understanding correctly, that all but one of them are degenerate states.
Ah ok, so the P's are permutations.

I see that you assume that S=1. This is no stated in the question, so I think you will have to double check with your instructor because the question is ambiguous. S could be 0 (making the problem trivial) or 2, etc. The degeneracy will depend on that (unless your instructor wants an answer in terms of S, which can be worked out).
Note that if the spin is 1, the ## | m_1 m_2 m_3 \rangle=|1,1,1\rangle## is not the only state. You could also have ##( |1,1,0\rangle + |1,0,1\rangle + |0,1,1\rangle )/\sqrt{3}## and many other states. You have to count these and see the general formula in terms of S (again, if this is what your instructor wants).

Likes PeroK
kdv said:
Ah ok, so the P's are permutations.

I see that you assume that S=1. This is no stated in the question, so I think you will have to double check with your instructor because the question is ambiguous. S could be 0 (making the problem trivial) or 2, etc. The degeneracy will depend on that (unless your instructor wants an answer in terms of S, which can be worked out).
Note that if the spin is 1, the ## | m_1 m_2 m_3 \rangle=|1,1,1\rangle## is not the only state. You could also have ##( |1,1,0\rangle + |1,0,1\rangle + |0,1,1\rangle )/\sqrt{3}## and many other states. You have to count these and see the general formula in terms of S (again, if this is what your instructor wants).
Ok, thanks, I was unclear on whether the permutations were degenerate or if the spin states were degenerate. However, if the spin states are not degenerate then there are like 27 of them for identical spin 1 boson and I'm not sure how many of those would be symmetric.

What is symmeterization of boson spins?

Symmeterization of boson spins is a process in quantum mechanics where the wave function for a system of identical bosons is modified to ensure that it is symmetric under the exchange of particles. This means that the wave function remains unchanged when two identical bosons swap positions.

Why is symmeterization of boson spins important?

Symmeterization of boson spins is important because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of identical bosons, which are particles that have integer spin. This is crucial in understanding many phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as superconductivity and Bose-Einstein condensates.

How is symmeterization of boson spins achieved?

Symmeterization of boson spins is achieved by applying the symmetrization operator to the wave function. This operator ensures that the wave function is symmetric under particle exchange and satisfies the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that identical particles cannot occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

What are some applications of symmeterization of boson spins?

Some applications of symmeterization of boson spins include the study of superfluidity, Bose-Einstein condensates, and the behavior of particles in a magnetic field. It is also used in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

Are there any exceptions to symmeterization of boson spins?

Yes, there are some exceptions to symmeterization of boson spins, such as in the case of particles with non-integer spin, such as fermions. These particles follow different symmetrization rules and are described by a different type of wave function.