How to Change Default PDF App in Chrome/Browser

In summary, the conversation is about changing the default PDF app in Windows 10 or within a browser. The individual is frustrated with the current default app in Google Chrome and wants to change it to Adobe Reader. They have tried downloading and installing Adobe Reader, but the PDF links still open in another app. They have found a link that suggests Chrome and Acrobat are no longer compatible. They are considering using a third-party solution or opening the file in Firefox instead. The conversation also includes links to instructions on how to change the default app and disable Chrome's PDF viewer.
DiracPool
I've got this default PDF file opener in Windows 10 that drives me nuts. Every time I activate the cursor to navigate the page these banners drop in from the top and side and it's just irritating. I don't know how to change the default PDF app, though. I'd like to just change it so when I clicked on a PDF link on a webpage, it would open up in the adobe app. Any help?

Edit: I guess it's not Windows 10, it's Google chrome, because I just tried it in Firefox and it was a different PDF app. So I guess the more general question is how to you change it within a browser?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you downloaded and installed Adobe Reader?

Yes, but when I click on a link inside the chrome browser, it doesn't open it up in the adobe app, it opens it up in another one, and I don't know how to change it. I can download the file and then open it up in Adobe Reader, but I'd rather not have to download a file a re-open it every time. I seem to remember in days past being able to click on a PDF link and have it open in an adobe browser window.

The point may be moot, though, because the default PDF app that opens in the Firefox window I like (I don't think it's Adobe), but it would still be nice to know how to change the default in the Chrome browser.

Thanks for the links, but the second one I held out high hope for and it didn't give me an option to switch to acrobat. Inspired, though, I ran a similar search and found this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/pdf-browser-plugin-configuration.html

"Chrome and Acrobat are no longer compatible. For more information, see Change in support for Acrobat and Reader plug-ins in modern web browsers."

So there you have it. I may just have to look for a 3rd party solution or just open up the file in Firefox which is probably easier.

1. How do I change the default PDF app in Chrome?

To change the default PDF app in Chrome, follow these steps:
1. Open Chrome and click on the three dots in the top right corner.
2. Click on "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
3. Scroll down and click on "Advanced" to expand the advanced settings.
4. Under the "Privacy and Security" section, click on "Content Settings".
5. Scroll down and click on "PDF documents".
6. Toggle on the option for "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome".
7. Save the changes and close the settings tab.
8. Now, when you click on a PDF link, it will automatically download instead of opening in Chrome.

2. How can I change the default PDF app in my browser?

To change the default PDF app in your browser, follow these steps:
1. Open your browser and go to the settings or options menu.
2. Look for the section on "Applications" or "Advanced Settings".
3. Find the option for "PDF" or "PDF documents".
4. Select the option to "Always ask" or "Use other" for PDFs.
5. Save the changes and close the settings tab.
6. Now, when you click on a PDF link, you will be prompted to choose the app you want to use to open it.

3. How do I make Adobe my default PDF viewer in Chrome?

To make Adobe your default PDF viewer in Chrome, follow these steps:
1. Open Adobe Acrobat on your computer.
2. Go to "Edit" and select "Preferences".
3. In the left menu, click on "General".
4. Under the "Basic Tools" section, click on "Make Adobe Acrobat my default PDF viewer".
5. Save the changes and close Adobe Acrobat.
6. Now, when you click on a PDF link in Chrome, it will automatically open in Adobe Acrobat.

4. How can I change the default PDF app on my Mac?

To change the default PDF app on your Mac, follow these steps:
1. Open the "Finder" on your Mac.
2. Right-click on a PDF file and select "Get Info".
3. In the "Open with" section, select the app you want to use as the default for opening PDFs.
4. Click on "Change All" to apply this change to all PDF files.
5. Close the "Get Info" window.
6. Now, all PDF files will open with your chosen app by default.

5. How do I change the default PDF app on my Windows computer?

To change the default PDF app on your Windows computer, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on a PDF file and select "Open with" from the drop-down menu.
2. Click on "Choose another app".
3. Select the app you want to use as the default for opening PDFs.
4. Check the box for "Always use this app to open .pdf files".
5. Click on "OK" to save the changes.
6. Now, all PDF files will open with your chosen app by default.