How to choose the right power screw dimensions given the maximum load

In summary, the conversation is about designing a jockey wheel and power screw for a university project. The design must meet certain calculations and specifications, including using a Metric Trapezoidal thread ISO 2904. The person is asking for help understanding how to determine the screw diameter and dimensions based on the given maximum load. They are also asked if they are familiar with Machinery's Handbook, a reference book that may contain the information they need.
Prialen
TL;DR Summary
Choosing an appropriate Metric ISO 2904 Power Screw given the maximum load
Hi, So I have a uni project and were required to design a jockey wheel and corresponding power screw. We're given a maximum load and have to do the relevant calculations, moment of torque, efficiency etc. My question is I don't understand how to take the given maximum load and find the relevant screw diameter and dimensions, the screw we have to use must be a Metric Trapezoidal thread ISO 2904. Any help would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Machinery's?

Bystander said:
Are you familiar with Machinery's?
I'm not sure what you mean, if you're asking am I familiar with Machines the answer is no though.

Indeed.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I determine the maximum load for my power screw?

The maximum load for a power screw can be calculated by multiplying the torque required to move the load by the lead or pitch of the screw. This will give you the maximum axial load that the screw can handle.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing the right power screw dimensions?

When choosing the right power screw dimensions, you should consider the maximum load, the speed of the screw, the type of load (static or dynamic), the accuracy required, and the environment in which the screw will be used.

3. How does the lead or pitch of the screw affect the maximum load it can handle?

The lead or pitch of the screw directly affects the maximum load it can handle. A larger lead or pitch will result in a higher maximum load capacity, while a smaller lead or pitch will result in a lower maximum load capacity.

4. Can I use a power screw with a higher maximum load capacity than my actual load?

It is not recommended to use a power screw with a higher maximum load capacity than your actual load. This can lead to increased wear and tear on the screw and potentially cause it to fail prematurely.

5. Are there any standard guidelines for choosing the right power screw dimensions?

Yes, there are standard guidelines and equations that can be used to calculate the appropriate power screw dimensions based on the maximum load, speed, and other factors. It is recommended to consult these guidelines or seek the advice of a professional engineer when choosing power screw dimensions.