How to Classify Reactions: Hydrolysis, Ionization, and Self-Protolysis

In summary, the conversation is about classifying reactions, specifically ionization, self protolysis, and hydrolysis. The difference between dissociation and hydrolysis is discussed, with examples given for each type of reaction. Hydrolysis is defined as "decomposition by reaction with water", but the specific process may vary depending on the compounds involved.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Hello,
I'm trying to learn how to classify reactions. I want to know how do I tell ionization, self protolysis and hydrolysis.

Homework Equations

NH4(aq) + H20(l) <--> NH3(aq) + H30(aq)+ This is hydrolysis why? How does it differ from this hydrolysis.
CO32-(aq) + H20(l) <--> HCO3-(aq) + OH-(aq) I don't understand.

Can you please give me examples of how to classify each reaction asked about?
Thanks
j

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:
NH4(aq) + H20(l) <--> NH3(aq) + H30(aq)+ This is hydrolysis why?

I would not call it hydrolysis, just dissociation. Produced proton attaches to the water molecule.

How does it differ from this hydrolysis.
CO32-(aq) + H20(l) <--> HCO3-(aq) + OH-(aq) I don't understand.

Here water molecule is split into H+ and OH-.

Trick is, hydrolysis means slightly different things in different contexts. On a general level hydrolysis means "decomposition by reaction with water". Apparently there is no compound decomposition in the case of dissociated carbonate - there is a reaction with water, in which it is water that decomposes.

What is classification of reactions?

Classification of reactions is the process of categorizing chemical reactions based on their characteristics and properties.

Why is classification of reactions important?

Classification of reactions helps us better understand the behavior of chemicals and predict the products of a reaction. It also allows us to organize and study reactions more efficiently.

What are the different types of reactions?

The main types of reactions are synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, combustion, and acid-base reactions.

How are reactions classified based on energy change?

Reactions can be classified as endothermic or exothermic based on whether they absorb or release energy, respectively. They can also be classified as spontaneous or non-spontaneous based on the direction of energy flow.

Can a reaction belong to more than one classification?

Yes, a reaction can exhibit characteristics of multiple types of reactions and therefore can belong to more than one classification.