How to correctly identify r and r' in electromagnetics

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of correctly using position vectors in problems involving figures and objects in space, specifically in the context of electromagnetism. The individual has trouble with the r' vector and believes it is related to the shape of the vector, but the correct answer is actually r' = a*rho unit vector. The conversation also mentions using cylindrical coordinates and integrating using phi as the variable.
komender

Homework Statement

This is more of a general problem that I noticed I constantly fail to get right, and seems like something quite basic in vector calculus but it mostly affects me in my electromagnetism class.
Whenever I try to work on a problem that involves figures and objects in space, I am struggling to get the position vectors right.
For example
4eI3UNC.png

It is basically the r' that gives me trouble almost every time.I can solve the rest of the question but for some reason I can't get the r'.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't quite explain my thought process here coherently but the way I see it, r' =phi*phi unit vector because it is the one that mostly defines the shape of the vector. I know this is a faulty logic and is incorrect, but I can't see it any other way (the right answer by the way is r'=a*rho unit vector

Physics news on Phys.org
r is the point where you want to evaluate A?

r' is then along the loop. The loop is at ##\rho=a## and ##z=0##, so two components in cylindrical coordinates are easy. Phi will vary along the integration path, and it is probably useful to use it as integration variable.

1. How do I know which direction is r and r' in an electromagnetic field?

The direction of r is defined as the direction from the origin of the coordinate system to a specific point in space. The direction of r' is defined as the direction from the origin to a point located near the first point in space. In other words, r' is a small displacement in the same direction as r.

2. Can r and r' have negative values?

Yes, both r and r' can have negative values. In an electromagnetic field, r and r' are vectors and therefore can have both positive and negative components depending on their direction in relation to the origin.

3. How do I determine the magnitude of r and r' in an electromagnetic field?

The magnitude of r and r' can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude of r is equal to √(x² + y² + z²), and the magnitude of r' is equal to √(x'² + y'² + z'²).

4. Does r always have to be perpendicular to r' in an electromagnetic field?

No, r and r' do not always have to be perpendicular to each other in an electromagnetic field. In fact, in some cases, r and r' may be parallel or at an angle to each other. The relationship between r and r' depends on the specific properties of the electromagnetic field being studied.

5. How can I use r and r' to calculate the strength of an electromagnetic field?

The strength of an electromagnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = (μ₀I)/(2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance between the current and the point where the field is being measured. By using r and r' in this formula, you can determine the strength of the field at different points in space.