How to create a projected electric field

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of creating a "projected" electric field, rather than using two charged plates, to generate a small electric field for a capacitive touchscreen. Various methods were suggested, including rubbing a PVC wand with fur, using a high frequency AC source, and using a 9V battery or computer speaker output to produce a weak electric field. The goal was to create a touch-like response without physical contact with a large conductive material. However, further testing is needed to determine the effectiveness of these methods.
oronymo
How to create a "projected" electric field

First of all, apologies for my naivete, it's been many years since I've studied electromagnetism or electrical engineering in detail, but here goes anyway...

I am trying to generate a small electric field (about the size of a marble). I am aware of the method of using two oppositely charged plates to create a field between them, but what I'm looking for is something more like a "projected" electric field around a point - or in other words, one that extends outward rather than inward.

My goal is to create a small electric field that can be detected by a capacitive touchscreen (projected capacitive in this case) from a small distance - for example from about 1 cm.

I don't know if this is even technically feasible or that I'm approaching it in the right way.. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Interesting.. i will give it a try!

I'd like to use a reliable and consistent power source - like a battery. How might I get a similar effect using an electrical current?

oronymo said:
Interesting.. i will give it a try!

I'd like to use a reliable and consistent power source - like a battery. How might I get a similar effect using an electrical current?

There is a lot to be said for a highish frequency AC source, rather than DC. It is a superior method for many types of measurement because it eliminates DC drift and low frequency noise and hum.
Why not Google touchscreen technology and see some of the images and designs?

sophiecentaur said:
There is a lot to be said for a highish frequency AC source, rather than DC. It is a superior method for many types of measurement because it eliminates DC drift and low frequency noise and hum.
Why not Google touchscreen technology and see some of the images and designs?

Yes, I have, but I'm not trying to create a touchscreen. I'm actually trying to create an object which is detected by the touchscreen as finger input but through a minimal contact point (e.g. a point smaller than a typical finger tip)

DrZoidberg said:

Yes, but no. Actually, I've made multiple capacitive styli using various methods and materials and they work like any other capacitive stylus.

I'm actually trying to create the effect of a stylus touching a capacitive screen, but without having to make physical contact with a large conductive material (like conductive foam or metal).

I hypothesize (perhaps incorrectly) that if you could create a small electric field near the presence of a projected capacitive screen that it would affect the capacitance and thus trigger a "touch"-like response. That's the idea - a sort of "magic wand" effect.

It's just a theory... but I'm trying to figure out how to best test it.

I don't know any details about the design of capacitive touch screens (field strength used, frequency of the signal, etc.) but you could try and see if a weak electric field has any effect on it. Just take a 9V battery, connect one terminal with a wire to something that's grounded and the other terminal to another insulated wire. Move that wire in front of the screen. The wire produces a field because it becomes charged by the battery.
Next you could try an ac field. That is also easy to do. Just connect your two wires to the speaker output of your computer instead of the battery. Again, ground one wire and then play sounds of different frequencies.

DrZoidberg said:
I don't know any details about the design of capacitive touch screens (field strength used, frequency of the signal, etc.) but you could try and see if a weak electric field has any effect on it. Just take a 9V battery, connect one terminal with a wire to something that's grounded and the other terminal to another insulated wire. Move that wire in front of the screen. The wire produces a field because it becomes charged by the battery.
Next you could try an ac field. That is also easy to do. Just connect your two wires to the speaker output of your computer instead of the battery. Again, ground one wire and then play sounds of different frequencies.

Excellent thank you! I will try this out.

So far these techniques are not working, although it is possible that my 9v battery is low or dead. I'll try again, but in the mean time any other ideas?

1. How is an electric field created?

The creation of an electric field involves the presence of charged particles, such as protons and electrons. These charged particles create an electric field by exerting a force on each other. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force between the charged particles.

2. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the distance between the charged particles, the magnitude of their charges, and the medium in which they are located. The electric field strength decreases as the distance between the charged particles increases, and it increases as the magnitude of the charges increases. The type of medium also affects the strength of the electric field, with some materials allowing for easier movement of charged particles than others.

3. How can the direction of an electric field be determined?

The direction of an electric field can be determined by placing a test charge, usually a positive charge, at a specific location and observing the direction in which it is accelerated. The direction of the electric field will be in the same direction as the acceleration of the test charge.

4. What is the mathematical equation for calculating the electric field?

The electric field is calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force exerted on the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge. This equation can be applied to both point charges and continuous distributions of charge.

5. How can a projected electric field be visualized?

A projected electric field can be visualized using field lines. Field lines represent the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space. The density of the field lines indicates the strength of the electric field, with more lines representing a stronger field. The direction of the field lines indicates the direction of the electric field, with the lines pointing away from positive charges and towards negative charges.