How to create microscope videos?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in purchasing a microscope and learning how to make microscope videos. They also mention their desire to compare different oils and observe organisms in water droplets. Recommendations are given for a trinocular compound microscope and a Nikon camera for taking photos. The conversation also touches on the use of oils in microscopy and the availability of filters for different effects. Some caution is given about the cost and ongoing expenses of owning a microscope as a hobby.
SpaceBear
Hello, I don't have a microscope yet, but I want to buy one, sometime in the future.
I was wondering if anyone can teach me or recommend me some good resources for learning how to make microscope videos.

I would like to compare the difference between cooking oil and cold press cooking oil for example - for me it would be an awesome thing.
But that's the first thing that comes into my mind, I think many similar comparisons can be made.

And can you recommend me some good microscopes? Some capable to show cells and even bacteria, if possible.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
It will be difficult to view oil under a light microscope- it will be almost as transparent as the slide. You can cause excitation in the oil to view pockets of air and record that behavior or observe the impurities, but otherwise...

For using video, I suggest a trinocular compound microscope. This might do:

http://www.amscope.com/compound-microscopes/laboratory-compound-microscopes/40x-1600x-led-lab-siedentopf-trinocular-compound-microscope-with-3-d-double-layer-mechanical-stage.html

This company has an agreement with suppliers Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, and Olympus, so you may be able to get some higher quality parts than from a store in your area. Great for what you want. Though, it likely won’t come precisely aligned (many people don’t seem to notice that) but it doesn’t take much if you notice those things. Learn how to take it apart and clean it correctly before you even begin to use it.

For the camera, you are better off buying a Nikon with some adapters and a calibrating kit. BioImageXD offers some free imaging software, along with Amscope, and others. You can perform measurements/tracking/layering.

If you are crafty you can build some polarizers and darkfield patch stops (print on acetate, you can determine the scattering angles more precisely). If you want to experiment further with oils, then you can experiment with more filters (see Rhienberg filters too), stains, lighting, heat, and such.

If you are interested in observing the motility of critters, I suggest using darkfield. If you want to slow their movement before they begin to die, then increase the viscosity of the medium or introduce a chemical to intoxicate them (like eye drops). That was the first thing I wanted to do with my first almost ten years ago (my Husband didn’t mind at all).

As for resources, there are very little worth bothering with. If you have kids, hide any valuable objectives that they might get their hands on.

SpaceBear said:
Hello, I don't have a microscope yet, but I want to buy one, sometime in the future.
I was wondering if anyone can teach me or recommend me some good resources for learning how to make microscope videos.

I think you'll find plenty of good resources here at PF, actually.

SpaceBear said:
I would like to compare the difference between cooking oil and cold press cooking oil for example - for me it would be an awesome thing.
But that's the first thing that comes into my mind, I think many similar comparisons can be made.

I don't understand what you mean- what differences, exactly?

SpaceBear said:
IAnd can you recommend me some good microscopes? Some capable to show cells and even bacteria, if possible.

What is your level of experience, and how much do you want to spend?

Thanks a lot for the answers!
My level of experience is zero.
I forgot to mention in the first message that I would like to take photos too, not only to make videos.
I would like to see the difference in how those two different oils look like under the microscope, of course.
But also I would like to put droplets of water and observe the organisms in there.

@Fervent Freyja: how can it be that microscope to be so cheap ($270)? From what I've seen before, such microscopes can cost up to thousands of dollars.
And what do you think about this microscope: http://www.amscope.com/compound-microscopes/laboratory-compound-microscopes/40x-2000x-simul-focal-compoud-microscope-8mp-digital-camera.html ? - it comes together with an 8 megapixel camera.
Just to have an idea, can you recommend a specific model of Nikon camera and some specific adapters that work for that camera? Also some calibration kits?
Does AmScope or anyone else sell filters for dark field, polarized light and Rhienberg effects?

Funny, I just noticed that actually oils are used in microscopy in order to provide better images (Oil immersion). And then how can one observe the oil itself with a microscope?

Last edited:
SpaceBear said:
And then how can one observe the oil itself with a microscope?

If there are impurities suspended it it you may be able to see them. If the oils are free of debris then you will not be able to see any detail with an optical microscope.

BoB

SpaceBear said:
I forgot to mention in the first message that I would like to take photos too, not only to make videos.
I would like to see the difference in how those two different oils look like under the microscope, of course.
But also I would like to put droplets of water and observe the organisms in there.

@Fervent Freyja: how can it be that microscope to be so cheap ($270)? From what I've seen before, such microscopes can cost up to thousands of dollars.
And what do you think about this microscope: http://www.amscope.com/compound-microscopes/laboratory-compound-microscopes/40x-2000x-simul-focal-compoud-microscope-8mp-digital-camera.html ? - it comes together with an 8 megapixel camera.
Just to have an idea, can you recommend a specific model of Nikon camera and some specific adapters that work for that camera? Also some calibration kits?
Does AmScope or anyone else sell filters for dark field, polarized light and Rhienberg effects?

Funny, I just noticed that actually oils are used in microscopy in order to provide better images (Oil immersion). And then how can one observe the oil itself with a microscope?

Those high quality microscopes are usually customized for particular needs and furnished by an employer or institution. That is not a bad price for a student or first hobby microscope. Even with a hobby, you are likely to end up accumulating supplies multiple times the initial cost of the microscope.

T370B-8M is the same as T370B, you will just be paying $200 more for the camera. Placing your cell phone camera over the eyepiece would work just as well in that case. No, I cannot recommend anything specific for you until you decide a budget. You could end up making almost any camera work for this. The calibration kit is like a ruler (stage micrometer) that you use as a point of reference in order for the software to obtain measurements, last thing you really want to worry about with zero experience. The patch stops don’t filter light, they block it. All of this depends on the microscope you are using. It's often easier to just make things yourself(unless someone else is going to supply it), I use my scrapbooking punches to make some filters.

You cannot observe the oil itself directly. You didn't answer his question, why/what differences do you want to observe? I assumed you wanted to view your semen/sperm. Apparently not. Something related to nuclear weapons?

SpaceBear said:

<snip>

For someone with your experience, I recommend a Digital Blue microscope, because they are the easiest to use and will let you learn about the different components (stage, condenser, stops, etc) and various technical aspects of microscopy (stability, empty magnification, sample prep, etc) very inexpensively. Don't think they are only a kid's toy. Depending on how fast you learn, you will likely outgrow this scope sometime between a few months or a year and then be ready, if you are so inclined, to move on to a more advanced 'scope that offers improved performance and better control over the various components. I tried out a QX3 when it came out and was very impressed by what it could do. Newer models should work even better- better lighting and better camera.

SpaceBear said:
<snip>

Possibly, but if you don't know what you are doing you'll just end up wasting money. Most filters are associated with specific objective lenses, require careful alignment, and thus are manufacturer-specific.

I don't know any commercial supplier of Rheinberg illumination filters- those are strictly DIY. I've long wanted to make some, the effect is quite striking!

Likes rbelli1
Andy Resnick said:
Rheinberg illumination filters

I've seen photos using this technique and always thought that some sort of post processing (Photoshop?) was done on them. It makes for some impressive pictures. Is this type of filter useful other than aesthetically?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
I've seen photos using this technique and always thought that some sort of post processing (Photoshop?) was done on them. It makes for some impressive pictures. Is this type of filter useful other than aesthetically?

BoB

Definitely not photoshop:

http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/techniques/main/rheinberg-illumination

Whether or not it's 'useful' is a reasonable question- I guess it depends on what you consider useful. There's a whole class of optical staining techniques that are used to measure the refractive index (or indices, if the material is birefringent), I suppose Rheinberg is a form of optical staining as well, but it stains based on spatial frequencies.

https://www.mccrone.com/mm/rheinber...pproach-to-high-magnification-color-contrast/

Fervent Freyja said:
You cannot observe the oil itself directly. You didn't answer his question, why/what differences do you want to observe? I assumed you wanted to view your semen/sperm. Apparently not. Something related to nuclear weapons?
Viewing sperm? Bleah!
Even if I wouldn't find it disgusting, I could not do it, because I'm against ejaculation.
The sexual energy is supposed to be sublimated and raised from muladhara chakra to sahasrara (crown chakra), not being wasted through ejaculation.
After ejaculation (most of the time occurring after just a few minutes of sex), men suddenly fall asleep. While those who awaken their Kundalini energy can have sex for hours and feel full of energy after that.
It's worth to live to see the difference :)

And sorry for answering so late, somehow I forgot about this conversation.

From the 1940 Edition "How to Attain and Practice the Ideal Sex Life", a translated by Norman Haire from "Das Sexualleleben in seiner biologischen Bedeutung" by Dr. J. Rodgers. It took me a while to find it, I thought it had been funny... "Sexual abstinence may really lead to the most serious neuroses and to complete insanity. The casual nexus may be distinctly traced through a certain parallelism in related cases."

A shortcut here is to let your lover fall asleep then wake them up a few hours later.

Anyway, this is off topic of the original post and I don't need to keep getting into trouble... If you want to continue discussing the topic then you can post another question.

I can say that wanting to view sperm under a microscope is a common curiosity regardless of gender and age. I don't think it is disturbing, and people tend to be drawn to disturbing and gross things regardless(then pretend not to be). They are adorable little critters and I've always felt bad when they die in front of my eyes.

Andy Resnick said:
Possibly, but if you don't know what you are doing you'll just end up wasting money. Most filters are associated with specific objective lenses, require careful alignment, and thus are manufacturer-specific.

I don't know any commercial supplier of Rheinberg illumination filters- those are strictly DIY. I've long wanted to make some, the effect is quite striking!

When you make them I would like to see how you've put them together. Mine have always turned out ugly because of the adhesives.

Keeping the center stop(s) the microscope uses from dark field and just using filters around it seems to be most striking for me.

On another note: What do you think about using something like this in materials used for dark field microscopy and other techniques? What improvements in imaging quality could there be?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material-using-microscopic-rods-spheres.html

SpaceBear said:
I'm against ejaculation.

:olduhh:

SpaceBear said:
The sexual energy is supposed to be sublimated and raised from muladhara chakra to sahasrara (crown chakra), not being wasted through ejaculation.
After ejaculation (most of the time occurring after just a few minutes of sex), men suddenly fall asleep.

Jack Ripper actually has a similar theory to this..Fast forward to 1:00

If you have the time, here's some further wisdom from Jack:

Fervent Freyja said:
When you make them I would like to see how you've put them together. Mine have always turned out ugly because of the adhesives.

Will do - I was thinking about using simple gels and punches but I haven't gotten to considering the adhesive... good to know! What have you used?

Fervent Freyja said:
On another note: What do you think about using something like this in materials used for dark field microscopy and other techniques? What improvements in imaging quality could there be?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material-using-microscopic-rods-spheres.html

I don't know about phase contrast rings- I do know Zeiss uses soot rings, so this may be a possible (and rather costly) alternative. In general, I see this being useful for stray light control- edges of lenses, inner baffling, etc.

1. What equipment do I need to create microscope videos?

To create microscope videos, you will need a microscope with a camera attachment, a computer with video editing software, and a stable surface to place your microscope on.

2. How do I prepare my microscope for video recording?

Start by adjusting the microscope's lighting and focus to get a clear image. Then, attach the camera to the microscope and connect it to your computer. Make sure to adjust the camera's settings for optimal video quality.

3. What is the best way to capture the video?

To capture the video, start recording using the video recording software on your computer. Use the microscope's controls to move and adjust the specimen while recording to capture different angles and details.

4. How do I edit and enhance the video?

Once you have recorded your video, import it into the video editing software on your computer. You can then trim, add transitions, and enhance the video with effects or annotations to highlight specific features.

5. How can I share my microscope videos with others?

You can share your microscope videos by uploading them to a video sharing platform, such as YouTube or Vimeo, or by exporting them as a video file and sharing them through email or social media. You can also present them at conferences or in scientific publications.