How to deal with (ln(x))^p in an Alternating Series Test

In summary: Focus on the rate of growth in the terms, and notice that they are alternating signs, so if the rate of growth is slowing, then the grouped sum##\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {(\ln (2(k+1)) )^p}{5(2k+1)}-\frac {(\ln (2k) )^p}{5(2k)}## (I have replaced 65 with p) would satisfy the condition of positive and decreasing. It is easy to see that this is true if ##p \leq 0##. The shape of the function grows quickly for large p and then comes back down as n gets large.See the attached plot for an example with
Jrb4935

Homework Statement

Determine all values of P for which the series ∑((-1)^(n-1))((ln(x))^p)/(5n) is convergent, expressing your answer in interval notation (Problem is shown in attached picture).

Homework Equations

• Alternating Series Test: If {a_n} is positive and decreasing, and if the lim as n→∞{a_n}=0, then the sum ∑((-1)^(n-1))(b_n) converges.
  • In this problem, {a_n} is ((ln(x))^p)/(5n), and that is what is supposed to be evaluated for it's limit to test for convergence.

The Attempt at a Solution

The concept of the alternating series test and the method of using it is not my problem, I have a fairly good grasp on that. The problem is that I am clueless on what to do with ((ln(n))^p, as I have never been taught what you can do with that in any situation at all, and after hours of searching the internet/asking around, I still could not find any ln(n) laws that have to do with the entire ln(n) function being raised to a power rather than just what's inside the parenthesis being raised to a power.

The online homework in question has already been submitted, and the answers are given. But, this is where probably my biggest problem lies. The explanation says that the limit of the given {a_n} is=0 for any value of P (-∞,∞). But just using simple logic, if you choose a value of P that is large like 65 and evaluate the limit with n equal to say 20, then the value of the numerator would be much larger than the value of the denominator, meaning the limit would be infinity and not 0...

Could really use some clarification for these 2 things, this is for integral calculus 2 and I am trying to clear up this confusion while preparing for the final exam.

Thanks for your time and effort[/B]

Attachments

• Question 3.jpg
    Question 3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is asking if there is a fixed p in ##(-\infty, \infty) ## such that the series does not converge to zero.
Focus on the rate of growth in the terms, and notice that they are alternating signs, so if the rate of growth is slowing, then the grouped sum
##\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {(\ln (2(k+1)) )^p}{5(2k+1)}-\frac {(\ln (2k) )^65}{10k}## would satisfy the condition of positive and decreasing.
The shape of the function grows quickly for large p and then comes back down as n gets large.
See the attached plot for an example with p = 7. The larger p gets, the more extreme the values might be, but the overall shape will still tend back to zero as n gets really large.

Attachments

• f.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 263
Jrb4935 said:

Homework Statement

Determine all values of P for which the series ∑((-1)^(n-1))((ln(x))^p)/(5n) is convergent, expressing your answer in interval notation (Problem is shown in attached picture).

Homework Equations

• Alternating Series Test: If {a_n} is positive and decreasing, and if the lim as n→∞{a_n}=0, then the sum ∑((-1)^(n-1))(b_n) converges.
  • In this problem, {a_n} is ((ln(x))^p)/(5n), and that is what is supposed to be evaluated for it's limit to test for convergence.

The Attempt at a Solution

The concept of the alternating series test and the method of using it is not my problem, I have a fairly good grasp on that. The problem is that I am clueless on what to do with ((ln(n))^p, as I have never been taught what you can do with that in any situation at all, and after hours of searching the internet/asking around, I still could not find any ln(n) laws that have to do with the entire ln(n) function being raised to a power rather than just what's inside the parenthesis being raised to a power.

The online homework in question has already been submitted, and the answers are given. But, this is where probably my biggest problem lies. The explanation says that the limit of the given {a_n} is=0 for any value of P (-∞,∞). But just using simple logic, if you choose a value of P that is large like 65 and evaluate the limit with n equal to say 20, then the value of the numerator would be much larger than the value of the denominator, meaning the limit would be infinity and not 0...

Could really use some clarification for these 2 things, this is for integral calculus 2 and I am trying to clear up this confusion while preparing for the final exam.

Thanks for your time and effort[/B]

If you think about it you should realize that the alternating series test (AST) does not need all the ##a_n## positive and decreasing; it just needs ##a_n > 0## decreasing to 0 for all ##n \geq N## for some finite ##N##. For example, the first 20 ##a_n## values could be increasing, but if they are positive and decreasing to zero for ##n \geq 21## then the 'tail' series ##\sum_{n=21}^{\infty} (-1)^n a_n = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{20+k} b_k## satisfies the AST; here, ##b_k = a_{20+k}##. This happens when ##p = 3## for example.

So, the series will converge if ##a(n) = \log(n)^p / n## decreases eventually and has a limit of 0. What happens for small value of ##n \geq 1## is not important.

1. What is an alternating series test?

An alternating series test is a method used in mathematics to determine whether a given series converges or diverges. It is specifically used for series where the terms alternate in sign.

2. How do I know when to use the alternating series test?

The alternating series test is typically used when the series involves terms that alternate in sign, such as (-1)^n or (-1)^(n+1). It can also be used for series with terms that decrease in magnitude as n increases.

3. What is the role of (ln(x))^p in the alternating series test?

(ln(x))^p is often used as the general term in an alternating series, where p is a constant. It is used to represent a series where the terms alternate in sign and decrease in magnitude as n increases.

4. How do I deal with (ln(x))^p in the alternating series test?

To deal with (ln(x))^p in the alternating series test, you can use the comparison test or the limit comparison test to determine the convergence or divergence of the series. You can also use algebraic manipulations to simplify the series before applying the alternating series test.

5. Can (ln(x))^p ever cause the alternating series to diverge?

Yes, it is possible for (ln(x))^p to cause the alternating series to diverge. This can happen if p is negative or zero, or if the series does not alternate in sign or decrease in magnitude as n increases. In such cases, other tests or methods may need to be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.