How to decide on interests ? And 17 units.

• Thread starter TheKracken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, it is important to carefully consider your interests and potential career paths when deciding on a major, and to seek out additional information and advice as needed.
TheKracken
How to decide on interests...? And 17 units.

Hello Physicsforums! Here I am again asking questions.
I appreciate it if anyone reads this, if not then this was still good for me to rant/think about things.
In the past I have not given much effort toward school and failed out of high school. I just started college and have completed one semester with a 3.31 so I am pretty proud of myself. This is making me realize I may actually go somewhere and be able to do something with myself rather than bumming it around and working in the fast food industry. Now I have to start making decisions on what path to take.

Majors I am considering:

Mathematics:
Pro's :
I have loved math and have excelled compared to my class mates since elementary school, I was even in the special ed classes but was transferred daily to the advanced math class, because I was better than even them. (I soon got out of special ed)

The Idea of using logic and such to create something beautiful sounds like a blast and very intellectually stimulating.

Cons: This major is completely with the brain and I will not be working outdoors at all. The career does not seem to actually advance society or anything like that.

Economics:
Pro's:
I have never actually considered this major before, I took this course and found I was pretty good at it.

I extremely enjoy the thought that I can use a lot of mathematics and be able to integrate social science with it. Also, politics and such sounds like fun.

I heard you can make a lot of money

Cons:
Not outdoors

I actually found a lot of the students in my course (who are econ majors) to be on the lower end of intelligence.

I find a lot of the material to be dry, and a lot fascinating. So not completely in love with the subject.

GEOLOGY/GEOPHYSICS
Pro's:
I LOVE THE OUTDOORS, I actually worked as a professional zip line guide for a while and I just love being outside and camping.

I love science and being able to explain concepts to people, science usually gets me going and people often tell me how crazy it is that I am so passionate about the sciences (all sciences including Bio, but mostly Physics)

Seems like I will be able to have a lot of fun and interesting courses.

Potential to make decent money, though I would take a outdoor science job any day for lower pay.

Cons:

Doesn't seem mathy enough

Doesn't seem to contain enough interesting physics (ie. quantum mechanics and relativity, all the popular stuff, though I may actually enjoy the classical mechanics more)

Will take me a lot longer in college.

So here is what I am thinking for next semester.

Pre Calculus 5
English 4
Economics MICRO 3
Geology 4
Geology field trip 1
total of 17

This will still allow me to progress easily with any of the above majors, but if I am still not able to decide after these classes, everything start branching off, though I will still have to take all the maths. That is the only thing in common.

I appreciate it if anyone reads this, if not then this was still good for me to rant/think about things.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to decide on interests, it is important to consider what you are passionate about and excel in. You should also consider the types of careers that each major may lead to and if they would be fulfilling to you. Additionally, it can be helpful to research the types of classes and topics covered in each major to see what appeals to you the most. Finally, it may be helpful to talk to people in the field or ask your college advisors for advice in order to ensure that you make the best decision for your future.

1. How do I identify my interests?

One way to identify your interests is to think about what activities or topics you enjoy spending time on. You can also reflect on your skills and talents, as well as what makes you feel excited or motivated.

2. Should I focus on a specific interest or have multiple interests?

It is completely up to you whether you want to focus on one specific interest or have multiple interests. Some people find fulfillment in diving deep into one area, while others enjoy exploring a variety of interests.

3. How can I explore different interests?

There are many ways to explore different interests, such as taking classes, attending workshops or events, reading books or articles, and talking to people who are knowledgeable about the interest.

4. Can my interests change over time?

Yes, your interests can definitely change over time. It is natural for our interests to evolve as we grow and experience new things. Don't be afraid to try new things and see if your interests shift.

5. How many units or time should I devote to each interest?

The amount of time or units you devote to each interest will depend on your personal preferences and availability. Some people may prefer to spend more time on one interest, while others may want to allocate time equally among multiple interests. It's important to find a balance that works for you.