How to derive a recurrence relation from explicit form

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving a recurrence relation from an explicit form, specifically a closed form solution for a linear recurrence. The given recurrence relation involves a capital P and can be proven by substituting the closed formula into it. It is also mentioned that algebraic manipulation can be used to derive the recurrence relation.
find_the_fun
I am given a formula in explicit form and as a recurrence relation. It is asked to derive the recurrence relation from the explicit form. How is this done?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the closed, or explicit, form?

closed: \(\displaystyle P_N=\frac{\frac{A^N}{N!}}{\sum\limits_{x=0}^N \frac{A^x}{x!}}\)

recurrence: \(\displaystyle P_i = \frac{A p_{i-1}}{i+A p_{i-1}}\) for i=1 to N

Last edited:
I was hoping you would post a closed form solution in the form:

\(\displaystyle A_n=\sum_{k=0}^m\left(c_kr_k^n\right)\)

Leading to a linear recurrence.

I will have to defer here to someone more knowledgeable in this field. :D

find_the_fun said:
recurrence: \(\displaystyle P_i = \frac{A p_{i-1}}{i+A p_{i-1}}\) for i=1 to N
I assume $P_{i-1}$ should be written with a capital $P$ in the right-hand side.

I'll have to think more how to derive the recurrence formula, but it is easy to prove it once it is known: just substitute the closed formula into it. It is probably easier to work with
\[
\frac{1}{P_i}=\frac{i}{AP_{i-1}}+1.
\]

Can this be done using nothing but algebraic manipulation? If so, I think I found a way.

1. How do I convert an explicit formula into a recurrence relation?

To derive a recurrence relation from an explicit formula, you need to first identify the pattern in the formula. Look for any variables that change with each term, as these will likely be used in the recurrence relation. Then, determine the starting term and the rule for obtaining the next term. This rule will be used in the recurrence relation to calculate subsequent terms.

2. Can I use any explicit formula to create a recurrence relation?

Yes, any explicit formula can be converted into a recurrence relation as long as there is a clear pattern in the formula. However, some formulas may have more complex patterns and may require more steps to derive a recurrence relation.

3. What is the purpose of using a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation allows for a recursive method of calculating a sequence or series of numbers. This can be more efficient than using an explicit formula, especially for larger values of n. Recurrence relations are commonly used in fields such as computer science, mathematics, and physics.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when deriving a recurrence relation?

One common mistake is not correctly identifying the pattern in the explicit formula. It is important to carefully examine the formula and determine which variables change with each term. Another mistake is not accurately stating the starting term or the rule for obtaining the next term, which can lead to incorrect calculations in the recurrence relation.

5. Can I use a recurrence relation to find any term in a sequence?

Yes, a recurrence relation can be used to calculate any term in a sequence as long as the starting term and the rule for obtaining the next term are known. However, depending on the complexity of the recurrence relation, it may be more efficient to use other methods for finding specific terms in a sequence.