How to derive this thermodynamic math identity

In summary, the Legendre transforms are straightforward; define ##S_1=S-\beta E## and ##S_2= S-\beta E + \beta \mu n## then we get:##dS_1 = -Ed\beta - \beta \mu dn + \beta PdV####dS_2 = -Ed\beta + nd(\beta \mu) + \beta PdV##And so by applying the equality of mixed partials of ##S_1## and ##S_2## we can conclude (similar to the Maxwell relations)##\frac{\partial E}{\partial n }\Big \rvert _{\
Hiero
Homework Statement
See image below
Relevant Equations
##dS = \beta(dE - \mu dn +PdV)##

##\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\Big \rvert _z = - \frac{\partial x}{\partial z}\Big \rvert _y \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\Big \rvert _x##
(Maybe relevant maybe not.)
499CE834-E709-4E0B-9BC8-C04EA06FE17A.jpeg

So the Legendre transforms are straightforward; define ##S_1=S-\beta E## and ##S_2= S-\beta E + \beta \mu n## then we get:

##dS_1 = -Ed\beta - \beta \mu dn + \beta PdV##
##dS_2 = -Ed\beta + nd(\beta \mu) + \beta PdV##

And so by applying the equality of mixed partials of ##S_1## and ##S_2## we can conclude (similar to the Maxwell relations)

##\frac{\partial E}{\partial n }\Big \rvert _{\beta , V}=\frac{\partial (\beta \mu)}{\partial \beta }\Big \rvert _{n , V}##

##\frac{\partial E}{\partial (\beta \mu)}\Big \rvert _{\beta , V}=-\frac{\partial n}{\partial \beta }\Big \rvert _{\beta \mu , V}##

I feel like these must be relevant because why else would he mention those Legendre transforms in the same problem. However I cannot figure out how to derive the given formula. I tried a lot of things (no point in typing them) that didn’t lead to it. I mention the “maybe relevant” equation because it was used in the same chapter.

Thought about it for more than a day with no new ideas. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a long one, with all of the partials, and would take all day to write out in Latex, but I think I verified it to be correct. Let me summarize: Take ## E_1(\beta,V, \beta \mu )=E_2(\beta,V, n) ##. The problem is to take ## \frac{\partial{E_1}}{\partial{\beta}}_{V,\beta \mu} ## and you do it on ## E_2 ##. You write ##n=n(\beta,V, \beta \mu) ##. It helps to write differentials ## dE=dE1=dE_2 ## and write out all of the terms. You also write a differential for ## dn ##, and it gets a term with ## d (\beta \mu ) ##. You then write ## \beta \mu=\beta \mu (\beta, V,n) ##, and write out the differential for ## d (\beta \mu) ##. You have two degrees of freedom, so let ## dV=dn=0 ##. This gives ##(\frac{\partial{n}}{\partial{\beta}})_{V, \beta \mu}=-(\frac{\partial{n}}{\partial{\beta \mu}})_{\beta,V} ( \frac{\partial{\beta \mu}}{\partial{\beta}})_{V,n} ##.

Last edited:
Likes Hiero
To add to the above ## dE=(\frac{\partial{E_1}}{\partial{\beta}}) d \beta +(...) dV+(...) d (\beta \mu)=(\frac{\partial{E_2}}{\partial{\beta}}) d \beta + (...)dV+(\frac{\partial{E_2}}{\partial{n}})_{\beta,V} dn ##, where ## dn=(...)d \beta+(...)dV+(...)d (\beta \mu) ##. for this part, you let ## dV=d(\beta \mu)=0 ##, and take the partial on ## \beta ##.

Likes Hiero
Note that post 3 refers to the first step. Once you have that, you need what I think is a Maxwell type relation with the partials of ## dn ## (described in post 2 at the bottom) to get the final result.
Edit:The equation that you posted with the x,y, and z is this same expression. (The ## V ## as a 4th variable is irrelevant).

Last edited:
Likes Hiero
@Charles Link

You said a couple things I didn’t follow, like how you mentioned to take ##\beta \mu## to be a function of ##(\beta, \mu, n)##, and how you said something was equivalent to my x,y,z formula.

But what I mainly gathered is that you took ##E_1(\beta, V, \beta \mu) = E_2(\beta, V, n(\beta, V, \beta \mu))## and then differentiated w.r.t beta (effectively using the chain rule) to conclude:

##\frac{\partial E_1}{\partial \beta }\Big \rvert _{\beta \mu , V} = \frac{\partial E_2}{\partial \beta }\Big \rvert _{n, V}+\frac{\partial E_2}{\partial n }\Big \rvert _{\beta, V}\frac{\partial n}{\partial \beta }\Big \rvert _{\beta \mu, V}##

That’s a great starting point, but the main thing I didn’t understand is how did you conclude the following:
Charles Link said:
This gives ##(\frac{\partial{n}}{\partial{\beta}})_{V, \beta \mu}=-(\frac{\partial{n}}{\partial{\beta \mu}})_{\beta,V} ( \frac{\partial{\beta \mu}}{\partial{\beta}})_{V,n} ##.

In my OP I found a different Maxwell type relation for that same term, if we move the negative to the other side:
Hiero said:
##\frac{\partial E}{\partial (\beta \mu)}\Big \rvert _{\beta , V}=-\frac{\partial n}{\partial \beta }\Big \rvert _{\beta \mu , V}##

Your relation does yield the answer (if we drop the subscripts from E) but I didn’t follow how you found it.
[Edit: nevermind; see next post]

Its strange; all the other problems in this chapter were pretty trivial.

And I completely understand about all the Latex haha, I’m on mobile so copy+paste is a life saver o_O

Thanks for taking the time to tackle this problem with me!

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
Edit:The equation that you posted with the x,y, and z is this same expression. (The ## V ## as a 4th variable is irrelevant).
Oh wow I just realized what you meant! It’s not a Maxwell relation it’s the x,y,z relation! Wow. So it was relevant after all hahah.

Well then I guess that solves it! Thanks so much!

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the purpose of deriving thermodynamic math identities?

The purpose of deriving thermodynamic math identities is to understand the fundamental principles and relationships between different thermodynamic variables. These identities can then be used to solve complex problems and make predictions about thermodynamic systems.

2. What are some common thermodynamic math identities?

Some common thermodynamic math identities include the first and second laws of thermodynamics, the ideal gas law, and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. These identities relate important thermodynamic variables such as temperature, pressure, and energy.

3. How do you derive a thermodynamic math identity?

In order to derive a thermodynamic math identity, you must start with the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and use mathematical operations and equations to manipulate and rearrange them. This process involves understanding the relationships between different thermodynamic variables and using algebra and calculus to solve for unknowns.

4. What are some challenges in deriving thermodynamic math identities?

One of the main challenges in deriving thermodynamic math identities is understanding the underlying principles and relationships between different variables. This requires a strong understanding of thermodynamics and mathematical skills. Additionally, some thermodynamic systems may be complex and require advanced mathematical techniques to derive their identities.

5. How can I use derived thermodynamic math identities in my research?

Derived thermodynamic math identities can be used in research to solve complex problems and make predictions about thermodynamic systems. They can also be used to analyze experimental data and validate theoretical models. By understanding and utilizing these identities, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of thermodynamic processes and make advancements in various fields such as energy, materials, and environmental science.