Bode Plot Slope based on frequencies

guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Give numerical values of ω that define the ranges where ω can be written as a power law and give the Bode-plot slope in each range, using decibels per dec or oct
Relevant Equations
db=log(v2/v1)
From 0 to ##10^3## ##\omega## there is a dB gain, from ##10^3## to ##10^5## there is another. Finally from ##10^5## to infinity the slope is constant (0).

I know the formula
$$dbV= 20log_{10}\frac{V_2}{V_1}$$

can give me the slope but that is in terms of Volts, but I have frequency and the magnitude of the transfer function. I cant find a formula in my book or online to calculate the dB gain with these two.

Is there an approach to determining the slope of each with the information given in the image?

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 12.16.55 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned the concepts of "poles" and "zeros" yet, and how they affect the transfer function?

berkeman said:
Have you learned the concepts of "poles" and "zeros" yet, and how they affect the transfer function?
I have, each pole corresponds a 6dB/oct gain.

So i'm guessing I would need to take the magnitude of the transfer function and evaluate in the limit of low mid and high frequencies?

I calculated the transfer function to be:
$$H = \frac{-\omega^2 L C}{j\omega RC-\omega^2 LC+1}$$
and then found its magnitude:
$$\lvert{H}\rvert = \frac{\omega^2 LC}{\sqrt{(\omega^4 LC+(\omega LC)^2-2\omega^2 LC+1}}$$

Am I going to have to take the quadratic equation of the denominator to find the poles?

guyvsdcsniper said:
Am I going to have to take the quadratic equation of the denominator to find the poles?
Basically yes. But since they haven't given you the component values, the real task here is to recognize the various shapes a quadratic frequency response can take and identify where the poles are from the given plot. Look in your lecture notes about constructing a quadratic bode plot using asymptotes.

Hint: Quadratics always have two poles, identifying whether they are real or complex is an important first step in analysis. If they are complex, then you want to get an idea about the damping (or quality factor Q) to proceed. If they are real, you can treat it as two separate 1st order responses combined together.

This article may be helpful, although it doesn't show the plots.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/an-engineers-approach-to-the-quadratic-formula.1053797/

Likes guyvsdcsniper
Likes guyvsdcsniper

1. What is a Bode plot slope based on frequencies?

A Bode plot slope based on frequencies is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the relationship between the input frequency and the output amplitude and phase of the system.

2. How is the slope of a Bode plot determined?

The slope of a Bode plot is determined by the type of transfer function of the system. For example, a first-order system will have a slope of -20 dB/decade, while a second-order system will have a slope of -40 dB/decade.

3. What does the slope of a Bode plot indicate?

The slope of a Bode plot indicates the rate of change in the amplitude or phase of the system with respect to frequency. A steeper slope indicates a faster change, while a flatter slope indicates a slower change.

4. How does the slope of a Bode plot affect system stability?

The slope of a Bode plot can indicate the stability of a system. A positive slope indicates an unstable system, while a negative slope indicates a stable system. The steeper the slope, the less stable the system is.

5. How can the slope of a Bode plot be used to design a control system?

The slope of a Bode plot can be used to design a control system by determining the gain and phase margins. These margins indicate the range of frequencies at which the system is stable and can help in selecting the appropriate control parameters to achieve the desired system response.