How to do Abel inversion using Matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Abel inversion and how it can be performed using Matlab. The participants mention an algorithm and a tutorial that may be helpful, as well as the possibility of using indefinite symbolic integration or image processing tools. The person seeking guidance expresses their appreciation for any helpful input.
einstein1921
hi,everyone. How to do Abel inversion using Matlab? what is the algorithm? I read something in wiki,but I have no idea how to perform it! anything helpful would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do indefinite symbolic integration with the syntax int(expression, variable)

Or you can add limits with int(expression, variable, a, b)

thank you all!I want to do abel inversion of a image! I don't how to do it using MATLAB image processing toolbox!

Hi there,

Abel inversion is a mathematical technique used to reconstruct a 2D function from its 1D projection. In Matlab, this can be done using the 'abel' function from the Image Processing Toolbox. The algorithm used in this function is based on the method proposed by Abel in 1826.

To perform Abel inversion using Matlab, you can follow these steps:

1. First, import your 1D projection data into Matlab using the 'importdata' function.

2. Next, use the 'abel' function with your data as the input. This function will return the reconstructed 2D function.

3. You can then plot the reconstructed function using the 'plot' function in Matlab.

For more details on how to use the 'abel' function, you can refer to the Matlab documentation or online tutorials.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

1. How do I input my data into Matlab for Abel inversion?

To input your data into Matlab for Abel inversion, you can either use the "importdata" function to load a data file or manually enter your data into a matrix.

2. What are the necessary steps for performing Abel inversion in Matlab?

The necessary steps for performing Abel inversion in Matlab include loading or entering your data, applying any necessary preprocessing techniques, defining your Abel transform function, and using the "abel" function to perform the inversion.

3. How do I choose the appropriate Abel transform function for my data?

The choice of Abel transform function depends on the type of data you have and the desired output. Some commonly used functions include the Hankel transform, the Fourier-Bessel transform, and the Legendre transform. It's important to understand the properties of each function and how they may affect your results.

4. Can I visualize the results of Abel inversion in Matlab?

Yes, you can use the "plot" function in Matlab to visualize the results of Abel inversion. You can also use other visualization tools such as the "imshow" function to display images or the "surf" function to plot 3D surface data.

5. Are there any limitations to using Matlab for Abel inversion?

While Matlab is a powerful tool for scientific computing, it does have some limitations for Abel inversion. One limitation is the precision of calculations, which can be affected by the choice of transform function and the size of your dataset. Additionally, the accuracy of results may also be impacted by the quality and resolution of your input data.