How to make video files smaller

In summary: An option to "share privately". You have to give a list of email addresses to invite. All the invitees must have Google accounts.
yungman
I record a video on the phone and it's 65MB, it too big to send. How do I make it smaller? If I just send from the phone, it'll get smaller, but the quality is really bad. I want to find a compromised size so I can make it smaller but not looking too bad.

I know there are downloads that can do that, I want suggestions here for a safe download.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of phone? How long is the video?

russ_watters said:
What kind of phone? How long is the video?
Thanks for the reply, it's a Samsung, the video is like 31sec. I record on the phone, when I play back, it's very clear. But when I send it to another Samsung, it becomes very grainy and choppy.

How did you send the video? Email?

jtbell said:
How did you send the video? Email?
Thanks for the reply, the grainy and choppy one was sent from the Samsung to another Samsung by attaching to the text message. I cannot send the video by email because it's over the 25MB limit.

Is there any setting on Whatsapp to set the size limit?

I'd just mail it. 75 cents for a stamp, 15 cents for the CD-R and you're done.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'd just mail it. 75 cents for a stamp, 15 cents for the CD-R and you're done.
For over 10 people? There are better ways, worst is to put on youtube and send the link. I just want to know how can I compress to the desirable size like 20MB.

How about Google Drive? A free account gives you access to 15 GB of cloud storage. Upload the video there. Set its sharing privileges so that anyone with a link to it can view it. Email the link to everyone on your list. (This makes the video private. I don't know if you can do that with YouTube.) They use the link to view the video or download the file via their web browser. Example:

Aha, the forum software automatically displays the video. Here's the raw link:

Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fd9x1ObeqH5fH2ilR2JjNWBoGiWRw24p/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and yungman
I guess there is no easy way. I already uploaded to youtube. Nothing important, just want to show friends what I've been up to since I quit programming almost 3 months ago. I am spending time on self defense with a walking cane. There are a lot of attack on older Asians now a days, so it is more pressing for me to practice self defense. I am 68, I am old enough to go out with a walking cane without looking strange. Here is the video of my practice, nothing good, just showing progress of two and half months of practicing since I quit C++.

Too bad people movement slow down as they get old. I hope I can get a faster if I keep practicing for another 6 months or so. Turn up the sound, with the whooping sound of the cane, it will look a little better!...Just a little. This is already from practicing almost everyday for two and half months. Progress is painfully slow.

Thanks anyway, just do it in another way.

Last edited:
Likes jtbell
jtbell said:
Email the link to everyone on your list. (This makes the video private. I don't know if you can do that with YouTube.)
I just now logged into my YouTube channel for the first time in two years. The same video is also there, but marked "private." I guess I never got around to annotating it and publishing it.

There is an option to "share privately". You have to give a list of email addresses to invite. All the invitees must have Google accounts. So it appears to be more private than Google Drive's link sharing, but less convenient.

yungman said:
I am spending time on self defense with a walking cane. There are a lot of attack on older Asians now a days, so it is more pressing for me to practice self defense.
I hope you never have to use it. Some of that stuff I've seen on TV has been horrible. :nb)

Likes yungman
jtbell said:
I hope you never have to use it. Some of that stuff I've seen on TV has been horrible. :nb)
I hope so too, but I just don't believe to ask for respect and say pretty please! I just want to avoid going to guns and knifes, cane is not that deadly, I just don't want to be hurt, not out to kill someone.

The video is in public, two of my friends responded back already. I don't know why you cannot view it. Nothing you would miss, just want to give some context why I try to send the video.

Thanks

yungman said:
I don't know why you cannot view it.
I can see it fine, no problem. This discussion simply prompted me to go back and look at how YouTube does private videos, because it's been so long since I've published something new on my YT channel. I forgot that I have a couple of "private" videos there that I never got around to publishing.

To my big surprise, when I send the video through WhatsApp, the degradation of the video is minimal. I thought it would be the same as texting. Now I know.

I would have suggested an upload to one of the cloud storage providers, most give you at least 2GB of free space and you can just send link to friends you want to share the data with.

1. How can I reduce the size of my video files?

There are several ways to reduce the size of your video files. One option is to compress the video using a video compression software. Another option is to decrease the resolution of the video, which will result in a smaller file size. You can also remove any unnecessary audio tracks or subtitles from the video to decrease its size.

2. What is the best file format for making video files smaller?

The most commonly used file format for reducing video file size is MP4. This format uses compression to reduce the file size without sacrificing too much in terms of quality. Other file formats, such as AVI or MOV, may also be compressed, but may not result in as significant of a reduction in size.

3. Is there a way to make my video files smaller without losing quality?

While reducing the size of a video file will inevitably result in some loss of quality, there are ways to minimize this loss. Using a high-quality compression software and adjusting the settings to balance size and quality can help maintain a good balance. Additionally, decreasing the resolution or removing unnecessary audio tracks can also help reduce the file size without sacrificing too much in terms of quality.

4. Can I make my video files smaller using my computer's built-in software?

Many computers come with built-in video editing software that may have the option to compress videos. However, these tools may not offer as many options or may not be as effective as dedicated video compression software. It is recommended to use a specialized software for best results.

5. Will reducing the size of my video files affect the playback quality?

Depending on how much the file size is reduced and the method used, reducing the size of a video file may result in a slight decrease in playback quality. However, as long as the compression is done properly and the settings are adjusted carefully, the difference in quality should not be noticeable to the average viewer.