How to estimate friction on the bearings to select motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a motorized gimbal head for a camera and how to estimate the required torque for the motors. It is determined that the motors only need enough power to overcome the static friction of the bearings and deal with the moment of inertia of the camera. The torque required will depend on the speed of acceleration and the counterbalancing of the load. To achieve balance, it is suggested to test the gimbal without the motors engaged and adjust the position and counterbalance weights accordingly.
Oleg
TL;DR Summary
Friction at bearings depends on the properties of the bearings themselves, but how can I estimate the "extra friction" under the load? Is there any formula or rule of thumb?
I'm willing to build a motorized gimbal head for my camera (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JN5D40A/?tag=pfamazon01-20).
If my understanding is correct, given that camera will be well balanced on the platform, the motors would not need to hold the load and only should be strong enough to overcome the static friction of the bearings. Obviously, it will depend on the properties of the bearings themselves, but how can I estimate the "extra friction" under the load? Is there any formula or rule of thumb?

untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You must select the bearings for the task, then evaluate the friction from manufacturers data.
Will you use ball bearings alone or in pairs, or sleeve bearings.
In either case, to minimise friction, use the minimum diameter shaft or bearing.

Oleg said:
the motors would not need to hold the load and only should be strong enough to overcome the static friction of the bearings.

No, they need enough power to deal with the moment of inertia of the camera.

Which probably makes the bearing friction question a moot.

Likes russ_watters and Oleg
Borek said:
No, they need enough power to deal with the moment of inertia of the camera.

Which probably makes the bearing friction question a moot.

I see.
Do you have an idea, how to estimate the required torque?

The torque required to move will depend on how fast you want to accelerate the camera.
It will also depend on how carefully you can counterbalance the load and structure.

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
The torque required to move will depend on how fast you want to accelerate the camera.
It will also depend on how carefully you can counterbalance the load and structure.

Acceleration is a simple part. Something around ~3-5 degrees/sec^2 would be good enough.
For the balance part, it is not so straightforward. What is a measure of "carefulness"? I will have the possibility to adjust the position of the load and I'll do my best, but we all understand that it never will be ideal.

Oleg said:
For the balance part, it is not so straightforward. What is a measure of "carefulness"? I will have the possibility to adjust the position of the load and I'll do my best, but we all understand that it never will be ideal.
Without the gears on the motors engaged, adjust the position and counter-balance weights to make it possible for the camera to remain in any position you place it. Then you know that the unbalance torque is less than the bearing torque. If you cannot achieve that balance, then bearing torque is irrelevant and you must design for unbalance torque.

Likes Lnewqban
If you build the gimbal without the motor, and turn and tilt it by hand:

1) If it moves smoothly and easily, measure the torque. A motor drive sized for that torque will move it smoothly and easily.

2) If it moves smoothly with resistance, measure the torque. A motor drive sized for that torque will move it smoothly and easily.

3) If it moves rough and jerky, start over. A motor drive would still be rough and jerky.

Likes russ_watters

1. How do I determine the type of bearing to use for my motor?

The type of bearing to use for a motor depends on a few factors such as the load and speed of the motor, as well as the environmental conditions it will be operating in. It is important to consult with a bearing manufacturer or engineer to determine the best type of bearing for your specific application.

2. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect bearing selection?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. In bearing selection, a lower coefficient of friction is desired as it will reduce the amount of energy needed to overcome the friction and allow for smoother operation of the motor.

3. How can I estimate the friction on the bearings for my motor?

To estimate the friction on the bearings, you will need to know the load and speed of the motor, as well as the type of bearing being used. From there, you can use formulas or online calculators to determine the estimated friction for your specific application.

4. What factors can increase friction on bearings?

There are several factors that can increase friction on bearings, such as lack of lubrication, misalignment, and contamination. It is important to regularly maintain and inspect bearings to ensure they are functioning properly and to address any issues that may increase friction.

5. Can I use a higher friction bearing to save costs on my motor?

While it may be tempting to use a lower quality, higher friction bearing to save costs, it is not recommended. The increased friction can lead to premature wear and failure of the bearing, which can ultimately result in more costly repairs or replacements in the long run.