How to Evaluate Integrals Using Areas: A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter dillon131222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Areas
In summary, we used the given function f(x) = |x| to evaluate the integral of ∫(-1,x)f(t)dt for all x. Then, by simplifying the expression for d/dx∫(0,x)f(t)dt, we were able to show that it is equal to f(x). This demonstrates our expertise in using areas to evaluate integrals and applying mathematical symbolism to solve problems.
dillon131222
The Question

Let f(x) = |x|. use areas to evaluate ∫(-1,x)f(t)dt for all x. use this to show that d/dx∫(0,x)f(t)dt = f(x)

not sure hot to evaluate the integral using area when i don't know what f(t) is...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dillon131222 said:
The Question

Let f(x) = |x|. use areas to evaluate ∫(-1,x)f(t)dt for all x. use this to show that d/dx∫f(t)dt = f(x)

not sure hot to evaluate the integral using area when i don't know what f(t) is...

f(x)=|x|. So f(t)=|t|.

dillon131222 said:
The Question

Let f(x) = |x|. use areas to evaluate ∫(-1,x)f(t)dt for all x. use this to show that d/dx∫f(t)dt = f(x)

You know what f is.

You know what mathematical symbolism is. :wink:

As to your next question, I'm not sure what you mean by "use areas", but I recommend that you draw out what f(x) looks like. Then, see if you can spot an elementary shape the area under -1 to 0 looks like and the same with the area under 0 to x.

Dick said:
f(x)=|x|. So f(t)=|t|.

oh.. you that's kinda obvious now that you point it out :P thanks :)

Karnage1993 said:
As to your next question, I'm not sure what you mean by "use areas", but I recommend that you draw out what f(x) looks like. Then, see if you can spot an elementary shape the area under -1 to 0 looks like and the same with the area under 0 to x.

ya that's basically what using the area is :P just didnt clue into what f(t) was :P

so here's my attempt:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3284/graphed.png
with f(x) = |x| so f(t) = |t| graphed above, and the area from -1 to x would be

(1/2)t2 -1/2 = ∫(-1,x)f(t)dt, so

d/dx(∫(0,x)f(t)dt) = f(x)

d/dx(1/2x2) = |x|

x = |x|

that seem correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's correct, but I have to be picky in how you showed it. You should start with the LHS of what you want to show, ie, d/dx∫(0,x)f(t)dt, and simplify it to f(x). Like this:

LHS
= d/dx∫(0,x)f(t)dt
= d/dx((1/2)x^2)
= x
= |x|...[since x >= 0]
= f(x), which is what we wanted to show. □

Last edited:

Related to How to Evaluate Integrals Using Areas: A Scientific Approach

1. How do you use areas to evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral using areas, you can use the concept of Riemann sums. This involves dividing the function into smaller rectangles and finding the area of each rectangle. Then, by taking the limit as the number of rectangles approaches infinity, you can find the exact value of the integral.

2. Why is it important to use areas when evaluating an integral?

Using areas to evaluate integrals allows us to find the exact value of the integral, rather than just an estimate. This is important in many fields of science and engineering where precise calculations are necessary.

3. Can you use areas to evaluate any type of integral?

Yes, areas can be used to evaluate both definite and indefinite integrals. However, the method used may differ slightly depending on the type of integral.

4. What is the relationship between areas and integrals?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function is equal to the area under the curve of that function. In other words, areas and integrals are intimately connected and can be used to find the same values.

5. Are there any limitations to using areas to evaluate integrals?

While using areas to evaluate integrals is a powerful method, it may not always be the most efficient. In some cases, other methods such as the substitution rule or integration by parts may be more suitable. It is important to understand when to use each method in order to solve integrals effectively.