How to evaluate the integral of dv/(1+(A/(mg))alpha*v) from [vo,v] = -gt?

• Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, to integrate dx/(1+e^x), you can multiply both numerator and denominator by e^x to get d(e^x)/(e^x(1+e^x)). Then, you can use the substitution u=1+ex to get the integral in the form of du/(u-1)u, which can be solved using partial fractions or integration by parts. Another method is to multiply both numerator and denominator by -e^-x, which leads to an easier integral of -e^-x/(e^-x+1).
Nusc
Someone please tell me how to integrate dx/(1+e^x).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have 1 + ex in the denominator, you would want something like d(ex) instead of dx. So let's try multiplying both numerator and denominator by ex.
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + e ^ x} = \int \frac{e ^ x dx}{e ^ x(1 + e ^ x)} = \int \frac{d(e ^ x)}{e ^ x(1 + e ^ x)} = = \int \left( \frac{1}{e ^ x} - \frac{1}{e ^ x + 1} \right) d(e ^ x)[/tex].
Can you go from here?
Viet Dao,

Or: almost the same thing, let u= 1+ex. Then du= exdx so that dx= du/ex.
The integral is [tex]\int\frac{du}{e^x u}[/tex]
You still have ex in your integral but since u= 1+ ex
ex= u- 1:
The integral is [tex]\int\frac{du}{(u-1)u}[/tex] which can be done by "partial fractions" giving exactly what VietDao29 had.

You can do it in another way ..

Multiply the numerator and denominator by e-x

so ..

[tex] \int \frac { dx} { 1 + e^x} = -\int \frac { - e^ {-x} } { e^ {-x } +1 } \ dx
[/tex]

Now .. the numerator is the derivative of the denominator , so you can integrate easily .

Last edited:
I'm trying to evaluate int: dv/(1+(A/(mg))alpha*v) from [vo,v] = -gt

You should get [ v- ln(1 +(A/(mg))alpha*v)/alpha ] limits v and vo = -gt

I tried the partial fractions and it won't match the answer, that U - 1 will cancel with the 1 + a /mb alpha v etc.

you will get the ln over alpha but I have no idea where the V - in front of that comes from.

so your left with just a /mg alpha v which is not correct. the last method looked tempting but I would just end up with ln u which is even worse

Last edited:

Related to How to evaluate the integral of dv/(1+(A/(mg))alpha*v) from [vo,v] = -gt?

1. How do I integrate dx/(1+e^x)?

Integrating dx/(1+e^x) involves using a combination of substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It can be a complex process, so it is important to carefully follow the steps and practice regularly.

2. What substitution should I use when integrating dx/(1+e^x)?

The most common substitution for dx/(1+e^x) is u = e^x. This allows for the integral to be rewritten as dx = du/u, which simplifies the integration process.

3. Is it possible to solve dx/(1+e^x) without using substitution?

While it is possible to solve this integral without substitution, it can be a more complicated process and may require advanced integration techniques. Substitution is generally the most efficient and straightforward method for solving this type of integral.

4. Can I use integration by parts to solve dx/(1+e^x)?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to solve dx/(1+e^x). However, it may not always be the most efficient method and can result in a more complex integral. It is important to carefully choose which integration techniques to use based on the integral at hand.

5. Are there any useful tips for integrating dx/(1+e^x)?

One useful tip is to first simplify the integral by factoring out a constant or using trigonometric identities if applicable. Also, be sure to check your work by differentiating the result to ensure it is correct. Practice and familiarity with different integration techniques can also help to improve your skills in solving dx/(1+e^x).