How to export an ANSYS model into STL format for 3D printing

In summary: I don't know of a CAD program that can export from just lines and cross-sections. I would recommend you try SolidWorks, ProE or Inventor. Solidworks is probably the most popular and has a wide range of export tools. ProE is a bit more expensive, but it also has a wide range of export tools. Inventor is available for free, but it does not have as many export tools as Solidworks or ProE.
Vigardo
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, I forgot to say that my ANSYS model is created in ANSYS Mechanical 14.5.

I don't believe that is even possible. I have brought STL files into ANSYS but never the other way around. Why use ANSYS to create an STL? Why not use a CAD program such as, Inventor, Solidworks, or ProE?

I'm trying to use ANSYS to create an STL because my model is generated with some APDL script. This latter creates a complicated grid of BEAM4 elements with defined sections (just rectangular). Would Inventor, Solidworks or ProE import ANSYS's APDL script files? If so, would you tell me how?

Thanks a lot for your interest!

No, those programs cannot read APDL. BEAM4 is a 3D elastic beam element that is nothing more than a line. You can issue the /ESHAPE command to plot the elements and see what the beam geometry looks like but that will only be available when the EPLOT command is issued. STL is a surface tessalation file and is just the surfaces of the object. I can't see any way that you could get the correct geometry from ANSYS APDL.

Why don't you read thru the APDL script, look at the real constants for the BEAM elements and then recreate the geometry using a CAD program?

In fact, that's what I typically do to check beam geometry (using /ESHAPE I mean). Ideally, I hoped that somebody had some APDL script to convert beams into STL surfaces using the section shape (real constants) of their elements. From what you say, now this seems quite infeasible...

I don't want to recreate the geometry using a CAD program because the APDL script is a large list with thousands of elements and a few real constants that has been generated by some in-house Perl script.

Since I'm not expert in CAD programs, I think it would be less difficult for me to modify the Perl script to generate input for some CAD program with better export features. Which CAD program and file format do you recommend me? In other words, which program/format would allow STL exportation from just lines geometry and cross-sections? Text format input would be highly preferred.

What is ANSYS and why is it used for 3D printing?

ANSYS is a software suite used for engineering simulation, including finite element analysis. It is commonly used in 3D printing to analyze and optimize designs before printing, reducing the need for physical prototypes and saving time and costs.

What is the process for exporting an ANSYS model into STL format?

The process for exporting an ANSYS model into STL format involves first creating a solid model in ANSYS, then converting it into a mesh using the MESHING function. Once the mesh is created, it can be exported as an STL file by using the FILE menu and selecting EXPORT and then STL.

Do I need to make any adjustments to my model before exporting it into STL format?

Yes, it is recommended to check and fix any potential issues with the model before exporting it into STL format. This includes ensuring that the model is properly closed, has no self-intersections, and has a suitable mesh density for 3D printing.

Can I use ANSYS to directly print my 3D model?

No, ANSYS is not a 3D printing software and cannot directly print models. It is used for simulation and optimization of designs before they are sent to a 3D printer. Once the model is exported as an STL file, it can be imported into a 3D printing software for printing.

Are there any other file formats I can export my ANSYS model as for 3D printing?

Yes, in addition to STL, ANSYS also supports exporting models in the OBJ and VRML file formats. These formats may be preferred for certain printing methods or software, so it is recommended to check with the 3D printing service or software before exporting the model.