How to figure out a equation given the variables

In summary, the formula for finding vf in terms of t, xi, xf, and a is vf = (xf-xi) - (1/2)a*t^2 + a*t.
Kennyh

Homework Statement

Starting from the constant-acceleration kinematic equations, write a formula that gives vf in terms of t, xi, xf, and a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using vf = vi + at but it was incorrect. Is there another way where i can solve for vf using the 4 needed variable above? thanks
Also I have tried using this : (xf-xi)+(1/2at) = vi then substitute vi with this equation vf = vi+at. After that I got (xf-xi)+at = vf but it was still incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(xf-xi)+(1/2at) = vi
This equation is wrong.
It should be
(xf-xi)-(1/2at^2) = vi*t
From the equation vf = vi + at find vi and put it in the above equation and rearrange to get vf

what I got was ((xf-xi)-(1/2at^2)/t))+at = vf

Kennyh said:
what I got was ((xf-xi)-(1/2at^2)/t))+at = vf

vi*t = (vf - at)t = vf*t -a*t^2

Related to How to figure out a equation given the variables

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables. It contains both constants and variables, and the goal is to find the value of the variables that make the equation true.

How do I figure out an equation given the variables?

To figure out an equation given the variables, you will need to use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. First, identify the variables and constants in the equation. Then, use the given information to solve for the missing variables using the algebraic method of your choice.

What are the steps to solving an equation?

The steps to solving an equation are as follows:

1. Identify the variables and constants in the equation.
  2. Use algebraic methods (substitution, elimination, graphing) to solve for the missing variables.
  3. Check your solution by plugging it back into the equation to see if it makes the equation true.
  4. If the solution does not make the equation true, go back and check your work for any errors.

What are some common mistakes when solving equations?

Some common mistakes when solving equations include:

• Not properly identifying the variables and constants in the equation.
  • Forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation.
  • Making calculation errors.
  • Not checking the solution by plugging it back into the equation.
  • Not following the order of operations.

How can I improve my skills in solving equations?

To improve your skills in solving equations, you can practice with a variety of equations and use different algebraic methods. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, review examples and explanations, and use online resources such as videos and practice problems. Consistent practice and reviewing your work to identify and correct mistakes can also help improve your skills.